Advice needed

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I plan on getting a pet bird next year.
I've done a lot of research but I am still researching and will probably never stop researching even after I get a bird.
This is so I can have a lot of knowledge about owning a pet bird.

The advice I need involves my cat.
Since I've basically raised Nyx since she was born underneath my bed, I know her body language and know her well enough to know if she doesn't like something/someone. I know the signs well enough to prevent fights between her and our other cats.

What's the best way to introduce a pet bird to your cat?
I need to know as I don't plan on keeping my pet bird in a cage all the time, only when it's bedtime.
I already know the dangers of having a pet bird around a cat, that is why I'm asking about the best ways to introduce them.

I don't need bashing about how I shouldn't own a cat when I want a pet bird or how I shouldn't get a pet bird when I own a cat.
I have my mind set on this.

And I'm doing the best thing, asking for advice.

Avoid having the cat and the bird in the same room. Some people may let their bird around their cat, but I wouldn't do it. What type of bird are you planning on getting? Has your cat been around birds before?

I don't have a cat, but I can't imagine having one with all my birds. Even if the cat is fine with the bird, you don't want to stress the bird out, birds see cats as predators. Would your cat get upset by having a bird around? You need to make sure the bird gets enough time without taking time away from your cat. Someone else may have advice on how they keep cats and birds but this is just my opinion and concerns.

I know you have set your mind on this and I'm not bashing you, but, you really need to consider if this decision will benefit your cat and the bird. I'm not telling you that you can't get a bird, I'm just saying to really consider as these decisions aren't to be taken lightly.

Please don't take offence from this, I'm trying to be helpful and as I said, I'm not bashing you about this. I hope this helps :)

Avoid having the cat and the bird in the same room. Some people may let their bird around their cat, but I wouldn't do it. What type of bird are you planning on getting? Has your cat been around birds before?
My cat has only been around chickens and ducks. She's actually pretty scared of baby chicks and ducklings for some reason. One time I sat on the couch with one and she came to see what I had but as soon as she heard it peeping, she ran off to hide and I couldn't find her for hours. She always runs to hide whenever I bring home new baby chicks/ducklings.

My cat has only been around chickens and ducks. She's actually pretty scared of baby chicks and ducklings for some reason. One time I sat on the couch with one and she came to see what I had but as soon as she heard it peeping, she ran off to hide and I couldn't find her for hours. She always runs to hide whenever I bring home new baby chicks/ducklings.

Does that mean she'd be scared or stressed by the new bird?

Also, what type of bird are you planning on getting?

Does that mean she'd be scared or stressed by the new bird?

Also, what type of bird are you planning on getting?
Probably scared, still not sure. And I just realized I didn't mention that I wouldn't leave my cat alone with the bird.
And I plan on getting a conure. There's so much info on owning one and I still haven't finished a 4 page info on a website about owning them.

Probably scared, still not sure. And I just realized I didn't mention that I wouldn't leave my cat alone with the bird.
And I plan on getting a conure. There's so much info on owning one and I still haven't finished a 4 page info on a website about owning them.

Does your cat need constant attention or is she happy to self-entertain? Because the parrot will need a lot of attention, especially if it lives in a cage on it's own.

Does your cat need constant attention or is she happy to self-entertain? Because the parrot will need a lot of attention, especially if it lives in a cage on it's own.
My cat will only seek attention if we're in my bedroom, which is only bedtime. Otherwise, she'll go off to sleep on a chair all day. She's going to be 3 years old on April 9th.

So what info do you want? Do you want to let them see each other, or will you just keep them separate?
To see each other, understand that neither are ever leaving, and understand that no harm will come to either one. Mainly just like introducing a dog to a cat, kind of thing? If that makes sense?
I think the only time they'd really be around each other, is morning and bedtime.
And the cage would only be used for bedtime or if I need to leave the house. I actually hate having to keep an animal in a cage but I know that for birds, it's needed if I won't be around to protect them.

To see each other, understand that neither are ever leaving, and understand that no harm will come to either one. Mainly just like introducing a dog to a cat, kind of thing? If that makes sense?
I think the only time they'd really be around each other, is morning and bedtime.
And the cage would only be used for bedtime or if I need to leave the house. I actually hate having to keep an animal in a cage but I know that for birds, it's needed if I won't be around to protect them.

Just wondering, have you at all considered an outdoor aviary? I keep my parrots outside in large-ish aviaries. It means they can exercise and self-entertain even when I'm not around them.

Back
Top Bottom