Advice needed

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I plan on getting a pet bird next year.
I've done a lot of research but I am still researching and will probably never stop researching even after I get a bird.
This is so I can have a lot of knowledge about owning a pet bird.

The advice I need involves my cat.
Since I've basically raised Nyx since she was born underneath my bed, I know her body language and know her well enough to know if she doesn't like something/someone. I know the signs well enough to prevent fights between her and our other cats.

What's the best way to introduce a pet bird to your cat?
I need to know as I don't plan on keeping my pet bird in a cage all the time, only when it's bedtime.
I already know the dangers of having a pet bird around a cat, that is why I'm asking about the best ways to introduce them.

I don't need bashing about how I shouldn't own a cat when I want a pet bird or how I shouldn't get a pet bird when I own a cat.
I have my mind set on this.

And I'm doing the best thing, asking for advice.

I never said I'd get one from a petstore. We have a few rescues here

I would visit them, maybe even volunteer for a few days if they allow that, and interact with the birds and see if it's something you enjoy and see if you bond with a particular type of bird. Often the species you think you want, it turns out doesn't really mesh well with you, and a totally different species will be the one you fall in love with.

Avoid having the cat and the bird in the same room. Some people may let their bird around their cat, but I wouldn't do it. What type of bird are you planning on getting? Has your cat been around birds before?

I don't have a cat, but I can't imagine having one with all my birds. Even if the cat is fine with the bird, you don't want to stress the bird out, birds see cats as predators. Would your cat get upset by having a bird around? You need to make sure the bird gets enough time without taking time away from your cat. Someone else may have advice on how they keep cats and birds but this is just my opinion and concerns.

I know you have set your mind on this and I'm not bashing you, but, you really need to consider if this decision will benefit your cat and the bird. I'm not telling you that you can't get a bird, I'm just saying to really consider as these decisions aren't to be taken lightly.

Please don't take offence from this, I'm trying to be helpful and as I said, I'm not bashing you about this. I hope this helps :)

Avoid having the cat and the bird in the same room. Some people may let their bird around their cat, but I wouldn't do it. What type of bird are you planning on getting? Has your cat been around birds before?
My cat has only been around chickens and ducks. She's actually pretty scared of baby chicks and ducklings for some reason. One time I sat on the couch with one and she came to see what I had but as soon as she heard it peeping, she ran off to hide and I couldn't find her for hours. She always runs to hide whenever I bring home new baby chicks/ducklings.

I have a cat and a finch. He used to be around my parakeet aswell before he passed away. I just tried to keep them separate, but I had the birds in my room so I couldnt ignore my poor cat. He liked to watch them, but I always scolded him if he tried to go up to the cage. I kept carabiners on all the doors to be safe. I would never trust the cat around the bird if it was out of the cage, just ensuring the cage is safe where the cat cannot get into it and trying to gently scold your cat if he tries to go up to the cage. Never trust them in the same room together alone. Best of luck with getting a parrot, and I assume that you have done the research and are ready for the responsibility of keeping one. Parrots are like having a toddler for 20+ years. Still, they are the best of pets and conures have amazing personalities ❤ Please please consider adopting one rather than purchasing from a breeder/petstore.
I never said I'd get one from a petstore. We have a few rescues here

I’ve had multiple cats and birds together my whole life. Tiny, fast moving birds like finches, canaries and parakeets don’t do so well with cats. Bigger, slower less flighty birds do great. For years I would never get a small parrot with pointy long (cat toy) tail. I ended up with a rescue green cheek conure. My cats are great with her. Of course they have all lived with birds and know to behave. I have raised 5 batches of chicks indoors this past year and the cats don’t bother them. I would recommend clipping your birds wings at first just so the cat gets accustomed to the bird walking rather than flying. I never clipped any of my birds and find that the conure never flys. She has a ladder from her cage to the couch and chooses to walk everywhere. Wing clipping can prevent her from having flying accidents until she is accustomed to her new home also. I have found that my female birds are more personable.

Conures are tough new world parrots and have a hefty bite. Inevitably your bird and cat will be alone, in the same room without boundaries (worst case scenario) so good on you for wanting to introduce your FAMILY MEMBERS to each other so everyone can be civil & well behaved :)
Having said that - I don't know cats. However, I've introduced my dog and family dogs to my parrots (even my budgies) and now everyone gets along. Even the chihuahua (who will kill sparrows and mice) doesn't even flinch when the budgies are on the floor hanging' out.
Try bird tricks on youtube to get your answer and please enjoy all the free flying and engage not cage channels. Adventures of Roku, Mikey the Macaw, Parrot Wizard, and Marlene Mc'Cohen.
You know your cat best, have you introduced her to any other animals? You can gauge her response based on previous encounters with smaller animals.
Then, you'll have to gauge the bird's response with your cat... please bond well with your new parrot - it'll mean just about everything moving forward.
I'm already subscribed to Marlene Mc'Cohen. She's the reason I want a pet bird and have been doing my research first about owning one.

I'm already subscribed to Marlene Mc'Cohen. She's the reason I want a pet bird and have been doing my research first about owning one.

I would also highly recommend checking out birdtricks. They are professional parrot trainers and have very helpful content on their channel. I use their videos all the time and got my parrot breakfast recipe (which I also highly recommend) from their online store.
https://birdtricksstore.com/collections/cookbooks/products/natural-feeding-system-digital-download
Here's their channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1BpMn4ErGPo8XB3Rzltojg

Back
Top Bottom