Advice needed

My own conure never flies, has never had her wings clipped. My Amazon and 1st pionus never flew much either, they all walked everywhere. My 2nd pionus flew into windows, walls and ceiling fans, never seriously injured other than occasional temporary head trauma but I still never clipped his wings after his first molt (the breeder had clipped them). I’m just saying it may be a good safety precaution until the new bird settles in and the cat becomes used to it.

My parakeet free flew around my room and house and loved it. There are things you can do to "bird-proof" a room for safe exercise.

My cat has only been around chickens and ducks. She's actually pretty scared of baby chicks and ducklings for some reason. One time I sat on the couch with one and she came to see what I had but as soon as she heard it peeping, she ran off to hide and I couldn't find her for hours. She always runs to hide whenever I bring home new baby chicks/ducklings.
maybe mama hen gave her a good pecking and now she associates her curiosity with chicks as being pecked?

Conures are tough new world parrots and have a hefty bite. Inevitably your bird and cat will be alone, in the same room without boundaries (worst case scenario) so good on you for wanting to introduce your FAMILY MEMBERS to each other so everyone can be civil & well behaved :)
Having said that - I don't know cats. However, I've introduced my dog and family dogs to my parrots (even my budgies) and now everyone gets along. Even the chihuahua (who will kill sparrows and mice) doesn't even flinch when the budgies are on the floor hanging' out.
Try bird tricks on youtube to get your answer and please enjoy all the free flying and engage not cage channels. Adventures of Roku, Mikey the Macaw, Parrot Wizard, and Marlene Mc'Cohen.
You know your cat best, have you introduced her to any other animals? You can gauge her response based on previous encounters with smaller animals.
Then, you'll have to gauge the bird's response with your cat... please bond well with your new parrot - it'll mean just about everything moving forward.

Conures are tough new world parrots and have a hefty bite. Inevitably your bird and cat will be alone, in the same room without boundaries (worst case scenario) so good on you for wanting to introduce your FAMILY MEMBERS to each other so everyone can be civil & well behaved :)
Having said that - I don't know cats. However, I've introduced my dog and family dogs to my parrots (even my budgies) and now everyone gets along. Even the chihuahua (who will kill sparrows and mice) doesn't even flinch when the budgies are on the floor hanging' out.
Try bird tricks on youtube to get your answer and please enjoy all the free flying and engage not cage channels. Adventures of Roku, Mikey the Macaw, Parrot Wizard, and Marlene Mc'Cohen.
You know your cat best, have you introduced her to any other animals? You can gauge her response based on previous encounters with smaller animals.
Then, you'll have to gauge the bird's response with your cat... please bond well with your new parrot - it'll mean just about everything moving forward.
I'm already subscribed to Marlene Mc'Cohen. She's the reason I want a pet bird and have been doing my research first about owning one.

I'm already subscribed to Marlene Mc'Cohen. She's the reason I want a pet bird and have been doing my research first about owning one.

I would also highly recommend checking out birdtricks. They are professional parrot trainers and have very helpful content on their channel. I use their videos all the time and got my parrot breakfast recipe (which I also highly recommend) from their online store.
https://birdtricksstore.com/collections/cookbooks/products/natural-feeding-system-digital-download
Here's their channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1BpMn4ErGPo8XB3Rzltojg

I would also highly recommend checking out birdtricks. They are professional parrot trainers and have very helpful content on their channel. I use their videos all the time and got my parrot breakfast recipe (which I also highly recommend) from their online store.
https://birdtricksstore.com/collections/cookbooks/products/natural-feeding-system-digital-download
Here's their channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1BpMn4ErGPo8XB3Rzltojg
I've seen some of their videos already.

Back
Top Bottom