Advice needed

Starcrossed

In the Brooder
May 14, 2024
HI all, this might need some context so please bare with me:

I volunteer at an animal rescue. We had a lady drop a box at the fence and leave, she didnt talk to anyone. Inside was a singular chick and a note saying it was 2 days old. we already have chickens, and a hen who's clutch had hatched a few days pior. I tried introudcing the new chick to the hen but she just wouldn't take it so we were left with 3 options

1: leave the chick with the hen and her chicks and pray it survived
2: let the chick free-range in the chook yard and pray it survived
3: Someone takes it home to look after it and pray it survived

none of us liked 1 or 2 so i took it home as i'm the only one with enough space to house it untill it gets a bit bigger and we can let it free rage at the farm with no worrys. only problem is: i have nothing for chicks.
i've managed to get the chick an old rabbit pen and i have water, food and hay for it, my only problem is heat. i'm 17, i can't afford a heat lamp and its nearing the winter months where i live. i really want this chick to survive and im terrified it'll freeze to death.

ive looked around online and theres alot of articales about hotwater bottles/wheat bag's and like rice in a sock so i was hoping to get some more advice and some second opinions.
I know the situation isn't ideal and i feel terrible not being able to look after it properly but i really love this chicken and i need some help

Do you have a heating pad? What are your current high and low temperatures in the spot where you're planning on brooding the chick?
oh i had an old heating pad in the shed i did manage to dig it out but a mouse got to the wireing, the current high/lows are: 25°C to about 5°C or 77°F to 41°F

If you have a regular lamp and some old incandescent light bulbs (NOT LED) those put out some heat, that would probably be enough for day time. Night, you would need more heat than that.

Is there anything else that puts out heat, like a space heater or a seedling heat mat for plants? Maybe ask around at your animal rescue if anyone else has a heating pad you can borrow, one that doesn't have an auto shut off. Heating pads really do work great for chicks.

You might just have to suck it up for the time being and do hot water bottles but you will need to swap out bottles frequently.

As long as it's inside the house and the light is about 3" off the floor a 60 watt incandescent would be more than enough heat. Just make sure it doesnt fall.

I bought a cheap light socket and screwed it right into the plastic tub for mine. With an old wire to a broken appliance to wire it and plug it in.

If you have a regular lamp and some old incandescent light bulbs (NOT LED) those put out some heat, that would probably be enough for day time. Night, you would need more heat than that.

Is there anything else that puts out heat, like a space heater or a seedling heat mat for plants? Maybe ask around at your animal rescue if anyone else has a heating pad you can borrow, one that doesn't have an auto shut off. Heating pads really do work great for chicks.

You might just have to suck it up for the time being and do hot water bottles but you will need to swap out bottles frequently.
I found an old lava lamp that works perfectly for a heat light and i'll ask around for a heating pad, i really dont mind haveing to redo the hot water bottles so i think im all set for now. thank you so much for all your help, im gonna try save up for a proper heating pad and probably a lamp aswell just to make sure i have them if this ever happens again. i really truly appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom