Advice on a small rooster dilemma.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FriendlyFlyer, Oct 6, 2012.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I have 2 barred rock roosters and they are about half-grown. They have begun to mate with the hens (whether it's successful at this point, I don't know). I have one (we'll call him Rudie) and he is dominant, always chasing my other rooster (Rocky). Rocky will sometimes mate with a hen, but they both hold the hens by the back of their heads and tear out feathers. Is this normal?
    Rocky is very nice. He isn't too afraid of me, he'll let me pet him and he eats out of my hand. Rudie is scarred of me, I can't EVER touch him, and he of course won't ever eat out of my hand. I really want to keep both of these roosters, but will I ever be able to make it work? I kind of want Rocky (the nice one) to be dominant but I don't know how to do that with Rudie around? Any suggestions? I really don't want to kill Rudie. And if Rocky becomes dominant, will his personality shift? Would he become an antisociale rooster as well? Thanks.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They are only half grown their personalities can change very much yet. Grabbing the feathersat the back of the neck is their way of stabilzing while mating. If you are haveing not problems with the hens being worn down by over mating and them being rasied together keeping both of them could work. If Rocky becomes the dominate one his pesonallity can change, and it can shift anywhere even down to trying to dominate you. Or not change at all. You never know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by