Advice on Automatic Chicken Doors

I had a photocell on my door and a thunderstorm came up and the door closed! If I had to use a commercial door IMHO a timer is better because you can set it to close at dusk and every chicken will be in by then.

JT
I never thought of this. When a storm comes my chickens hide under shelter, they don't go in the coop. I can see how this could be a problem. I live in FL, and when we get a storm...... whew boy it can get dark. Probably due to being right on the Gulf of Mexico.

Any thanks @jthornton I never thought of this scenario.
How often has this happened to you?

Only once, then I changed my door temperately to a timer while I finished testing the Raspberry Pi 3 code which adjusts the open close time by sunrise and dusk every day automagicly.

JT
I seen the door you made. Which is a very advanced science model.:thumbsup
In other words HI TECH....
Just my thought on the thunderstorm scenario... When storm passes, door opens thinking it is dawn. If storm is near eve, chickens might get the idea that it is time to roost. My chickens do not stay out all the way to dusk. (usually) Most of them turn in, in afternoon with some daylight left. I know many chickens do like to wander and scratch until it gets dark.
My reason for preference of the light sensor are as follows.
I have a timer controlled outdoor lights on the outdoor part of home, and garage. In the spring and fall, the time change is quite big. I have to keep adjusting the on and off time often. Lets say I forgot to readjust my coop time. Chickens go in and door is still open. Rocky raccoon wakes up and starts to look for breakfast. Oh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, an open coop door. Let me see whats on the menu. It seem to me that most of my losses were at about that time period. I arrived just a little after dusk and it was toooooo late. (that was before I had automatic door.:hit)

But, if the storm lasts into the night, the door won't ever open back up and the birds will be locked outside in the rain all night.
You are correct. That is why there are different options. It would not happen in my case because my chickens are not on automatic. (meaning, I am home everyday) I always check on the chicken coop well after dark, when it is closed and I take out my dogzzzz for their last hurrrah.:gig

I have this one from My Pet Chicken. https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...Automatic-Chicken-Door-Basic-Model-p1697.aspx

It’s a little pricy @ $254 but truly just “cut an opening” and screw the frame over it. The frame, track, & door are all included in one unit. Plus the control panel. Runs off 4 AA batteries, solar panel (extra), or electricity. Been using it about 6 months now & works perfectly.
Yes! This is the one I have except I have the advanced model & my own door. I think you can update to the advanced software later (GPS stuff) if you buy the basic & decide you want the other later. Check that with the manufacturer. I bought my at Fleming Outdoors.

I purchased the Add-A-Motor via Amazon about four years ago. Using a pulley wheel I was able to offset it to the side of the door. The door and track are self made and took some adjusting to avoid sticking. It is up to the owner to come with a way to turn on and off the motor. I used an outlet that was controlled by a solar timer switch, but I have since changed the outlet to be controlled by Vera (home automation) to add a method of monitoring it (status alerts). Additionally, the coop is powered by the sun, batteries, and converter.

I purchased the Add-A-Motor via Amazon about four years ago. Using a pulley wheel I was able to offset it to the side of the door. The door and track are self made and took some adjusting to avoid sticking. It is up to the owner to come with a way to turn on and off the motor. I used an outlet that was controlled by a solar timer switch, but I have since changed the outlet to be controlled by Vera (home automation) to add a method of monitoring it (status alerts). Additionally, the coop is powered by the sun, batteries, and converter.
I have a smart home (locks and lights so far), and would LOOOVE to be able to integrate it into my hub. I could even put a door sensor on it, so I could have positive verification that it is closed. And if it doesn't close, it could set off a alarm. OHH I LIKE this idea.

I already have a smart camera in the coop. This would be a wonderful addition.

Back
Top Bottom