Advice on Baby Gosling

Sorrelfur

In the Brooder
May 18, 2019
So we got geese that we were told are too old to have goslings but then 2 of then had nests with eggs. After awhile 6 hatched and the geese flock(of 6 adults) wanders around with them and occasionally sits on the remaining eggs. This has led to some random newborn goslings hatching and usually they join the group just fine. But today I saw a fluff ball curled up and thought a Gosling had died.

We have bad issues with the goslings dying usually at night, and I was upset but moved in their enclosure to grab it and give it a burial. Only this time IT MOVED. I flipped out I thought I was dead! I looked up and saw the flock was all the way on the other side of their huge enclosure not even coming over to the baby or anything. I lightly followed behind it until it caught up with the flock, they hissed at me but accepted the baby. Only issue? Everything they wander around they leave the baby behind, crying, stumbling before just laying down out in the open alone and unprotected.

My question is what can I go about this? I have baby ducklings that are almost old enough to be outside but are inside a separate contained enclosure during the day and inside the house at night. Could I put him in there or would they attack him? How long would he need to be inside for? And what would happen when I introduced him to the flock when he's older? Please give advice I dont want to lose another gosling!

More info, as started out with 6 goslings but are down to 3, counting the newborn. I used to think they were just being picked off but we had three before I noticed this one was way smaller than the other ones. I'm starting to think they've been being picked off but other ones are hatching and I was too silly enough to notice this happening. The 3 we have right now go from like taller, medium, and now newborn baby. The middle one is only slightly taller than the newborn and tallest one is huge compared to it. I know they still have more eggs left and am worried they've been hatching but only some join up with the flock, the rest get picked off.

Can you bring the baby inside & raise him until he's a little bigger and can fend for himself? That's what I would do.

I possibly could, how long do goslings need to be inside? I know ducklings it's until their adult feathers come in but geese I am unsure. I'm wondering if I should start raising most the baby goslings that hatch inside to give them the best survival chances, I'm not sure anymore will hatch though, one goose has 3 eggs left and the other has her whole clutch of 14 left and she rarely sits on them.

:welcome I'd wait at least until the goslings are 3 weeks old before introducing them back to the adults. Take them out daily when warm so they can all see each other but once 3 weeks old the gosling are pretty hardy and can keep up easier. I did this with my geese and over the 3 weeks they adults took them as their own.

I would take the goslings away and raise them yourself. Take the remaining eggs and candle them.. if any are viable, put them in an incubator. They don't sound like they will stick with the task at hand. I finished up 3 in the incubator this year. They were outside during the day at 2 weeks and out full time off heat at 3 weeks. I didn't try to put them with the parents because they have their fill with 15 to keep track of.

I would take the goslings away and raise them yourself. Take the remaining eggs and candle them.. if any are viable, put them in an incubator. They don't sound like they will stick with the task at hand. I finished up 3 in the incubator this year. They were outside during the day at 2 weeks and out full time off heat at 3 weeks. I didn't try to put them with the parents because they have their fill with 15 to keep track of.
How should i incubate them? Ive never done it before but im willing to do it to give the eggs the best chance at hatching. The one goose I've caught sitting on her eggs sporadically but i don't know if It'll be enough for them to hatch-after counting again i saw she has 15 in total. The other nest of eggs i think honestly our free range chickens have been sitting on and hatched a few, only 3 unhatched eggs are left but i have no clue if they're still good. Sadly i went out to collect the newborn one from yesterday but i cannot find it...I'm extremely upset but I'm going to look again later and if i can grab the other smaller gosling left. There's a bigger gosling but they won't let me near it and it never leaves their side.

When you take the goslings away, they might return to sitting. Go ahead and candle all the remaining eggs. Give them back any that you can see developing. Toss the rest. If you don't have a broody hen or can find an incubator to borrow, you are kinda stuck if they are no longer interested in the eggs.

How should i incubate them? Ive never done it before but im willing to do it to give the eggs the best chance at hatching. The one goose I've caught sitting on her eggs sporadically but i don't know if It'll be enough for them to hatch-after counting again i saw she has 15 in total. The other nest of eggs i think honestly our free range chickens have been sitting on and hatched a few, only 3 unhatched eggs are left but i have no clue if they're still good. Sadly i went out to collect the newborn one from yesterday but i cannot find it...I'm extremely upset but I'm going to look again later and if i can grab the other smaller gosling left. There's a bigger gosling but they won't let me near it and it never leaves their side.
If you decide to try incubating, this guide should help, with the caveat that you may have to deal with a staggered hatch because you won't know when the eggs were laid and incubation begun; nonetheless, putting them in an incubator will give you more control over the hatching and, as a bonus, they'll imprint on you. Best of luck!!

Back
Top Bottom