Advice on breeds please. Raising chicks for the first time in Utah!

Pics

psycache

Chirping
Dec 11, 2016
Salt Lake City, Utah
EDITED based on a summary of advices so far, so hard to narrow down (aim for 6 pullets, and 4 hens eventually):
1x Speckled Sussex
1x Delaware
1x Mottled Java
1x Barred Rock
1x Silver Lakenvelder
1x Black Australorp
1x Blue Copper Maran
1x Dominque

So I have taken care of chickens before, both grandparents' when I was little, and landlord's when they were gone, but this will be first time raising my own!
My city has a permit approval process, which I am scheduled to go through next Tuesday.

In the mean time, I went to the local feed store (IFA), and here are all the available pullets:
Speckled Sussex
Delaware
Mottled Java
Barred Rock
Sex Links (Black, Red, Golden)
Silver Lakenvelder
Rhode Island Red
Buckeye
California Gray
Leghorn (Brown, White)
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Jersey Giant
Production Red
Black Australorp
Blue Copper Maran
Dominque

I am hoping to buy 5-6 and eventually end up with 4 hens. I like to have some colors and varieties in my flock, and moderate egg production would be great. I hope to just let them free range during the day with my toddler while I watch in the yard. Here are what I am thinking:
2x Speckled Sussex
1x Mottled Java
1x Rhode Island Red
2x Dominque

What do people think? Any recommendations on chicks that get along better as a flock and growing up with a toddler?

Last edited:

Attachments

• C536FFA1-4F5A-4D0D-B518-284A26ADF784.jpeg
    C536FFA1-4F5A-4D0D-B518-284A26ADF784.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 3FE28BF1-F79A-4EAE-B5C3-77EFC9683101.jpeg
    3FE28BF1-F79A-4EAE-B5C3-77EFC9683101.jpeg
    642.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I really like your thinking on this! Very organized. I have family in Utah and I know you guys get snowy winters and warm summers. I would definitely recommend getting this:
One of each:
Speckled Sussex
Dominique
Barred Rock
Jersey Giant
Blue Copper Maran or Mottled Java
Production Red

In my experience, it’s easier to have all different breeds of chickens in such a small flock because you can distinguish them easier from a distance in case of injury or illness and you need to locate them quickly. Additionally, if you and your toddler want to name them, your kid will have an easier time telling them apart. 😊 Kids love to name animals and especially chickens.

I also think that you should substitute the Rhode Island Red for a Production Red. From the chickens that I’ve had, I have found Production Red hens to be significantly more docile and friendly with children than RIR hens. I find RIR hens become more aggressive and attack often, personally.

Additionally, I have found that my Barred Rocks handle the change of seasons the best of any breed, and I know that Utah tends to have a variety of weather.

Since you plan to free range, I recommend the Jersey Giant. They will intimidate any hawk or sky predators from attacking your flock. They’ve worked well for me and many people than I know.

This is just my personal opinion, but I love my Blue Copper Maran. She is lovely and lays the most beautiful dark brown egg. She’s so sweet with kids. Very sweet and calm. And exceptionally hardy. But if you prefer the Java then go ahead, I just love my Blue Copper. ❤️

Overall, I think your plan is really well thought out and can work great for you! All of the breeds offered at your local store are fairly good layers and you will have plenty of eggs. This is simply what I would personally choose. Happy chickening! I’m available for any questions if you need. 🥚🐣

I really like your thinking on this! Very organized. I have family in Utah and I know you guys get snowy winters and warm summers. I would definitely recommend getting this:
One of each:
Speckled Sussex
Dominique
Barred Rock
Jersey Giant
Blue Copper Maran or Mottled Java
Production Red

In my experience, it’s easier to have all different breeds of chickens in such a small flock because you can distinguish them easier from a distance in case of injury or illness and you need to locate them quickly. Additionally, if you and your toddler want to name them, your kid will have an easier time telling them apart. 😊 Kids love to name animals and especially chickens.

I also think that you should substitute the Rhode Island Red for a Production Red. From the chickens that I’ve had, I have found Production Red hens to be significantly more docile and friendly with children than RIR hens. I find RIR hens become more aggressive and attack often, personally.

Additionally, I have found that my Barred Rocks handle the change of seasons the best of any breed, and I know that Utah tends to have a variety of weather.

Since you plan to free range, I recommend the Jersey Giant. They will intimidate any hawk or sky predators from attacking your flock. They’ve worked well for me and many people than I know.

This is just my personal opinion, but I love my Blue Copper Maran. She is lovely and lays the most beautiful dark brown egg. She’s so sweet with kids. Very sweet and calm. And exceptionally hardy. But if you prefer the Java then go ahead, I just love my Blue Copper. ❤️

Overall, I think your plan is really well thought out and can work great for you! All of the breeds offered at your local store are fairly good layers and you will have plenty of eggs. This is simply what I would personally choose. Happy chickening! I’m available for any questions if you need. 🥚🐣
I appreciate the insight. Very helpful! Sounds like RIR is the more aggressive of the bunch. Would you recommend keeping Maran AND Java? Both seems to be unique birds.

Back
Top Bottom