Advice on chicken squabbles

meshugahen

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Hello, I'm new here. The lady that is caring for my chicks told me that they are all starting to fight each other. Is this normal and is there something I can do to prevent this?

There is truth to the sayings "hen pecked" and "pecking order". They do argue to establish their pecking order and heirarchy in the flock. As long as nobody is getting real injuries, they should be fine. Have you been able to watch them? Do they have enough space, food, feeders, etc?

She lives a couple hour drive away from me so I haven't seen them but she told me that one or two are now 2 toed chickens.

It's natural for young chicks to fight. They are establishing the pecking order. However, it sounds like your chicks are fight too much! Are they crowded? Move them to a larger brooder, keep a red light on them, offer green treats, feed fine mash, and remove any injured chicks to recover.

what kind of mash? I'm extremely new to this and a little unsure about what I should be feeding my flock. They are about 5-6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom