advice on chicks with coccidiosis

aldarita

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Brenham TX
I have 2 ten week old chicks that had coccidiosis. I treated them with Corid for 5 days and since they are out in the yard and it is very humid, I have been giving them the maintenance dose for 10 days. I do my own fecal floats and I did three over the weekend. I see a couple of oocyst and I know that even with the Corid treatment, some still show in the slide. My problem is that I have been seeing poop with intestinal lining every day and I don't know why this is happening, most of their poop looks fine and healthy with the exception of these ones. They are acting normal, they eat and drink and roam around their yard however I am very concerned about this amount of intestinal shedding.
Any ideas and suggestions?

I think it is normal that most chickens will have a small number of oocysts in the poop. Coccidiosis is when there are many occysts. It can wreak havoc in the intestines, so it might be understandable that they are still having some intestinal shed in the poops. I would just keep an eye out for more symptoms, and treat again with the preventative dosage if they have increased oocysts in their poop. Others, such as @casportpony are more experienced with coccidiosis. I have never had a case before even having raised over a hundred chicks. Be sure to provide some probiotics 2-3 times a week if your feed does not contain any, and some vitamins after treatment for a few days would not hurt.

I think it is normal that most chickens will have a small number of oocysts in the poop. Coccidiosis is when there are many occysts. It can wreak havoc in the intestines, so it might be understandable that they are still having some intestinal shed in the poops. I would just keep an eye out for more symptoms, and treat again with the preventative dosage if they have increased oocysts in their poop. Others, such as @casportpony are more experienced with coccidiosis. I have never had a case before even having raised over a hundred chicks. Be sure to provide some probiotics 2-3 times a week if your feed does not contain any, and some vitamins after treatment for a few days would not hurt.
Thank you for your reply. I have been checking my chicks poop every day and I have not seen any more intestinal shedding in the last two days. I am crossing my fingers hoping that they are recovering fast. This Friday will be the end of the second week of the preventative Corid dosage. I would like to start them on nutri-drench for few days. I am so afraid of them getting coccidiosis again but on the other hand I don't want to keep them on Corid for a long time. I wonder how long one can give them the preventative dosage. I hope by now they have develop some immunity.

Thank you for your reply. I have been checking my chicks poop every day and I have not seen any more intestinal shedding in the last two days. I am crossing my fingers hoping that they are recovering fast. This Friday will be the end of the second week of the preventative Corid dosage. I would like to start them on nutri-drench for few days. I am so afraid of them getting coccidiosis again but on the other hand I don't want to keep them on Corid for a long time. I wonder how long one can give them the preventative dosage. I hope by now they have develop some immunity.
What does intestinal shedding look like? How do you tell if they have coccidiosis?

The best way to find out when your chicks have coccidiosis is with a fecal float (any vet can do it with a sample of the poop). The scary sign is blood in the poop, usually it shows like clots, although not all the coccidia (there are several strains) produce this symptom. The chicks start being less active and you can tell there is a problem, they stop eating and drinking.
Intestinal shedding looks like pieces of tissue usually pink or red, you can see them in the poop however these pieces are different than the clots since clots don't look like tissue, they are very clearly differentiated

I have 2 ten week old chicks that had coccidiosis. I treated them with Corid for 5 days and since they are out in the yard and it is very humid, I have been giving them the maintenance dose for 10 days. I do my own fecal floats and I did three over the weekend. I see a couple of oocyst and I know that even with the Corid treatment, some still show in the slide. My problem is that I have been seeing poop with intestinal lining every day and I don't know why this is happening, most of their poop looks fine and healthy with the exception of these ones. They are acting normal, they eat and drink and roam around their yard however I am very concerned about this amount of intestinal shedding.
Any ideas and suggestions?
Exactly how much Corid did you use each time and did you make a fresh batch daily?

The best way to find out when your chicks have coccidiosis is with a fecal float (any vet can do it with a sample of the poop). The scary sign is blood in the poop, usually it shows like clots, although not all the coccidia (there are several strains) produce this symptom. The chicks start being less active and you can tell there is a problem, they stop eating and drinking.
Intestinal shedding looks like pieces of tissue usually pink or red, you can see them in the poop however these pieces are different than the clots since clots don't look like tissue, they are very clearly differentiated
Thank you. What is the cause of this? And how do I prevent it.

Exactly how much Corid did you use each time and did you make a fresh batch daily?
I gave them 2.5 cc diluted in a quart of water. I made a new batch every day for 5 days. The preventative dosage is 2.5 cc diluted in a gallon of water. These dosages are for chicks

Back
Top Bottom