Advice on coop

giddyupgrl018

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
Port St. John,Florida
so this is my shanty style coop...I know it needs some work but I do need yer opinions on what needs to be done. I do live on the spacecoast here in Florida, so the whole outside is 1x1 square wire so critters can't get their hands into the coop and grab any chickens! The whole coop is about 8x10, sand floor, I do have 3 bags of kitty litter to put on the ground so it will be easy to scoop the poop.
34364_hpim1630.jpg

nesting boxes

34364_hpim1646.jpg

Thanks in advance

Can you put some kind of cover over it, even a tarp? I don't see where they can get out of the rain/sun. Other than that, it looks like a perfect setup for FLA.

Did you put any of the wire wall mesh in the ground to keep things from digging in? Or if not, could you electrify your enclosure?

Not sure about kitty litter! I wouldn't use that, try sand , leaves, and some use cedar shavings. I just dump my oak leaves in the run and hay in the coop.

Other then that they need a space that is weather proof like a box with their nesting boxes in it or you could tarp the top. The tarp might not hold up in storms, they have a platic corragated peice at home depot or lowes...pretty cheap and you could attach it to the top, to make a roof. Other then that looks good to me!

We are in Polk county FL and made a shed into a coop and attached a run to it. Mine is on my BYC page. Made out of scraps and not perfect by any means...lol we are already designing another since it is not tall enough for us to get into. Kids have no problem so we send them in for the eggs. OHHH child labor laws at it's finest...hahah

welcome-byc.gif

I think it looks great.

I don't know what you have for critters... but you might want to take some precautions for things digging under your walls.

Also, You will need to think about more shade from the heat and shelter from those heavy rain storms.

Nice work!

My chickens don't know the diff between the Carleton and Harlem, yours seem to be happy. good job.

AL

I think it looks fine. I prefer to have my coop elevated in the run, they seem to like it better. Safer I think too. Mine is on my BYC page too. I made it out of scrap and cheap landscape timber from Lowe's.
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom