advice on duck eggs

pdb1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
newport souht wales uk
hello please can some one help i been told duck eggs need to be lay flat and rolled in the incubator and not up right going side to side which is right please thanks paul

I have watched broody moms on their nests, and honestly I can't say for certain what they do. It seems like later on, like lockdown, they do seem to roll the eggs out on their sides. But that's just at the very end.

I usually place the duck eggs point down in the incubator on a tilting tray...and then place the eggs on a hatcher tray in the last 3 days of incubation, but I suppose either way works well :) What breed of duck eggs are you incubating? Also if you don't know already, it is a good idea to spray a misting of water on the eggs from day 10 to day 24 of incubation!

Last edited:
thank you all for your replys i cant tell you what duck eggs because i went made on ebay and got all sorts from call duck to pekins i did not know about misting eggs then you say misting is that just a very light spray or must you see water running on egg shell thanks paul

Aw I see, well Call ducks can take from 26-28 days and Pekins around 28 days..so maybe set the Call duck eggs a day or two after the Pekin eggs..the incubator should be at a steady 37.7 oc at the beginning of incubation...then on day 10 to day 24 let the eggs cool for about 5-10 mins and before placing the lid back on the incubator spray a VERY light misting of lukewarm water on the eggs (as to mimic a mother duck leaving the eggs to go off to the pond or feed, and then she comes back again 5-10 mins later to the nest and her body may be a little wet)...after day 24 DO NOT turn the eggs, let the eggs cool or mist them with water. Spread them out on a hatching tray in the last 3 days of incubation and reduce the temperature (to about 37.2 oc) but increase the humidity..hope that helps :)

Back
Top Bottom