Advice on feeding and watering system

KnitswithChickens

Songster
14 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Vermont
We are in the process of building and setting up our small coop which will house just 2 or 3 chickens. I'm in the process of looking at feeders and watering systems and wonder which kind will be best. Is there a good place to purchase supplies for such a small set up? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
smile.png

yes there is
the best poultry supply people are
Smiths poultry supplies
they have a web site and you can see what they are offering

generally you will need a feeder that holds 1/4 lb of feed per chicken per day
it is better to just put out what they need for one day
as it draws weavels if lots offeed is exposed to the air
also by a waterer that holds around a gallon of ater for the day
as fresh water and cleaning out the waterer each day is important

I will put the information here so you can go read their web site
Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 Fax. 913-533-2497

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply Home A family-owned business that offers poultry and game bird books, supplies, vitamins and medication. Located in Kansas, US.
www.poultrysupplies.com/ - 164k - Cached - Similar pages

I am not paid to list this
just I have known them for several decades and they are honest people and will help you

I am not a believer in the feeders and waterers being hugh for so few chickens
but the right size
enjoy being around the chickens and their happy faces will make them great entertainment for you as well as healthy eggs to eat.
As you can tell eggs and chickens are a fun hobby

We've five hens ourselves and use a home-made waterer that's 5 gal. We couldn't afford to buy ready made. We took a five gal. bucket with lid that snaps on,not screws on (app. $6 at Lowes), turned upside down and near bottom drilled an 1/2 inch hole (just one), got a garden saucer (this cost most at $12) with a 2 or 3 inch lip and big enough for the bucken to sit in upside down with about a 1 1/2 or 2 inch gap for chickens to drink from. Up side of this kind, don't have to replace water but once a week (more if hot) down side, its heavy to haul, stinky to clean, you'll have to slosh out dirt that accumulates in saucer now and then. I'm switching to these screw on waterers that attach to 2 liter soda bottles. There are the kind with a ball at the end like hampster bottles but I'm getting the ones that have a little trough or reservoir for them to drink from. I think two should be enough for my five hens. They're about $6 each not counting the soda bottle. This way I can give them cool water throughout the day when it gets in the 100s here. As for feeders, I had one that held 25lbs of feed (once again homemade) but they were hogs about it. Now for $6 I bough a hanging trough and I keep track of how they're eating. Fill it twice a day, a.m and pm after allowing to free range about 30 min. About 4 cups each time (works out to 1/2 lb. feed each) Sorry this is so long...I don't know when to quit.
D.gif
enjoy your chickens.

The two liter soda bottles look like a good idea but they don't work well for long. After a few refills the sides collaps (sp) and water goes everywhere except where you want it to go (in the chickens). However if you drink a lot of soda in two liter bottles and have a constant fresh supply you will be fine.

i'm a big fan of my little giant automatic waterers, they cost about $20 well worth it! no hauling water jugs wetting your shoes, scrubbing those thread . i unhook the waterers once a week and wipe them clean and snap the bowl back. i still have a few jugs for the brooder and mine haven't lasted more than a few months before the bottoms crack.
he.gif

All you really need is a small container that will hold about a quart of water. Adjust the height to match the back of the chickens. It will hold enough water for a couple of days and yet can be cleaned and changed every day. Same works for a feeder,

Back
Top Bottom