Advice on found duck please!

Oh yeah she is (was) someone's pet. Keep encouraging the chicken feed as long as it's non medicated. Niacin can is high in peas and tuna look at your cereals if you have some the fortified ones that have lots of viatmins sill sometimes have quite a bit. If you happen to have yeast in your home you can mix some with the pellets. When i have hatchlings I start them on a slurry - just add water to your chicken food it will make a slurry which you'll need to replace each day so you can add less water until it's a mash and eventually she'll catch on that the chicken food is good. They love dabbling in the slurry and are getting some nutrition from it even if it's messy. If you have a farm store nearby most of them carry a B-vitamin complex you can start with, or any health food store should have plain old niacin. Amazon has niacinimide cheap and you can just crush the pill and sprinkle some on her food.
Willing to bet when she started limping they didn't know what to do for her. So glad you helped her!

Not sure about UK laws but in the US it's a felony to mess with wild waterfowl. Even if there is a chance it might be somebody's pet I'd be iffy on rescuing it.

Just an updated pic! She is chilling out on top of the chicken house she slept in last night. I've also put a bigger tray of water with some stones inside to help her get in and out of the steeper sides. Not deep enough to drown in! But more water and width than the little black tray she likes to sit in.

This morning after she came in the house, walked around then left she walked down the garden and went inside the chicken house in the picture. Later she went in the bushes again. Shes been eating the oats and chicken pellets. I also put out peas and some cereal with niacin in out but haven't seen her eat any.
My hen likes to steal any 'treat' food (ie not the oats and boring pellets) I put out so hard to tell what the duck eats unless I see with my own eyes.
She is still limping and resting but can stand for longer periods now. And am surprised she is on top of the chicken house? How did she get up there? She has been bathing, standing up tall and flapping in the water. She seems pretty happy!

Attachments

• 20200731_180741.jpg
    20200731_180741.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom