Advice on Free Range Peafowl

Lol, We're hoping Andy's savvy about traffic but definitely the kitten is guilty. The guy in the truck tried to stop, laid about 15' of tread on the road, and was terribly sorry he had hit Andy, a real softy - he could have just driven on, uncaring. Instead, the driver stayed with him, blocking traffic and putting himself at risk, until I (on a serious adrenaline rush) ran up to walk Andy off the road. The driver helped to corral Andy while I used a salmon net to restrain the bird, and actually walked with me to get Andy back to the enclosure. Andy has not flown flown over the fence since, so it looks like he recognizes the error of his ways.

It was so windy the other day the peas didn't want to come out.

They rather be up on the roosts than out in the 45 mph wind.

I came home with firewood today.

These orange things are interesting but that new load on the truck is irresistible.

A through inspection was in order.

Good bugs on that firewood maybe? The peafowl in this area completelyignored broken up pumpkins. Maybe they didn't know it was good?

It was so windy the other day the peas didn't want to come out.

They rather be up on the roosts than out in the 45 mph wind.

These orange things are interesting but that new load on the truck is irresistible.

So you let all your peafowl out to free-range and then close them in for the night? And do you pen them for the breeding season to control what varieties you get, etc? That is a pretty sweet deal. I always feel bad for the peacocks when their train is fully grown in and they are trying to walk and the wind starts blowing hard and starts blowing them sideways so they have trouble walking the way they want to go.

Last edited:
So you let all your peafowl out to free-range and then close them in for the night? And do you pen them for the breeding season to control what varieties you get, etc? That is a pretty sweet deal. I always feel bad for the peacocks when their train is fully grown in and they are trying to walk and the wind starts blowing hard and starts blowing them sideways so they have trouble walking the way they want to go.

They have me pretty well trained, if I do my part in time they all come in for the night. If I am too late they have no problem finding a place to roost outside the pen. During breeding season the selected birds are penned and the rest are free 24/7.
I feel bad for them when they have their long trains and they can't turn fast enough to fend off those **** zombies. (Guineas)

Tee hee
gig.gif
PeaLover130 and I have just been laughing over your peafowl "inspection" photos, and we are thinking this opens up a whole new line of pea names
wee.gif

LIke maybe... Inspector Gadget, Sherlock Holmes, Watson, Inspector Clouseau, Captain Renault, Sgt Friday, BP (border patrol), Minion Dave, Minion Kevin, Toody & Muldoon, Chevalier C. August Dupin (suggested by her brother -- we are all having great fun with this
tongue2.gif
)

Miss Marple, Dame Agatha, Hercule Poirot (from PeaLover130, no kidding) [Note by Pealover130: No, I don't read Agatha Cristie books it was quoted in one of my books. You may continue, Mom.] (Dang, you teach the kids how to read and let them look over your shoulder and the next thing you know they are grabbing your keyboard
lau.gif
)

Guy Noir (from her brother again), Nancy Drew, Scooby, Cadfael, Kojak, Harriet the Spy...

Gendarme, Schulz, Dr. Who...

Tee hee
gig.gif
PeaLover130 and I have just been laughing over your peafowl "inspection" photos, and we are thinking this opens up a whole new line of pea names
wee.gif

LIke maybe... Inspector Gadget, Sherlock Holmes, Watson, Inspector Clouseau, Captain Renault, Sgt Friday, BP (border patrol), Minion Dave, Minion Kevin, Toody & Muldoon, Chevalier C. August Dupin (suggested by her brother -- we are all having great fun with this
tongue2.gif
)

Miss Marple, Dame Agatha, Hercule Poirot (from PeaLover130, no kidding) [Note by Pealover130: No, I don't read Agatha Cristie books it was quoted in one of my books. You may continue, Mom.] (Dang, you teach the kids how to read and let them look over your shoulder and the next thing you know they are grabbing your keyboard
lau.gif
)

Guy Noir (from her brother again), Nancy Drew, Scooby, Cadfael, Kojak, Harriet the Spy...

Gendarme, Schulz, Dr. Who...

I am glad you are having fun! Let me introduce you to the birds; the one on top of the Ram is Rambler, the one on the log is Woody, the one on the taillight is Lightfoot, the one on the sawhorse is Hoss. the one on the stick is Twiggy, the one walking on the drive is Rocky, and the turkey on the roof is...... wait for it......... Pepper.

I am glad you are having fun! Let me introduce you to the birds; the one on top of the Ram is Rambler, the one on the log is Woody, the one on the taillight is Lightfoot, the one on the sawhorse is Hoss. the one on the stick is Twiggy, the one walking on the drive is Rocky, and the turkey on the roof is...... wait for it......... Pepper.

PeaLover130 suspects you are pulling our legs
lau.gif
but we had a good laugh
thumbsup.gif

upon further reflection, I definitely think the turkey on the roof could be a Schulzie...

Back
Top Bottom