Advice on incubated egg - is it viable?

I knew it sounds easier than it actually is in reality, damn... :( It seemed like an ideal option really. The hens are from industrial poultry house where they lay eggs - I think they are often leghorns - which I now realize is a breed that doesn't go broody right?

Well, another option is to just drop this entire endeavor and just adopt the hens and not raise any chicks. I will have to think about it some more to decide...
It is a tough decision. Yeah, Leghorns will never go broody, esp. commercial layers.
I hope you don't give up. If you succeed it's such a special feeling to watch the babies you hatched from eggs grow up. Buying chicks is a decent option too.

Of course! I haven't been lucky enough to have the opportunity to incubate, so I just jealously look at the incubation threads on here. (parents+rooster laws+money=no incubator)
Incubating/hatching is the best. I hope you get to try it someday! You'll becone addicted!

It is a tough decision. Yeah, Leghorns will never go broody, esp. commercial layers.
I hope you don't give up. If you succeed it's such a special feeling to watch the babies you hatched from eggs grow up. Buying chicks is a decent option too.
That's what I've realized... So that's not an option. :/ I will think about the other possibilities.

I know, that's why I wanted to do it - I was thinking that the experience will be one of a kind. :)

Well, I will see... In any case, I will post candling pictures tomorrow. Who knows, maybe I will be surprised. :)

That's what I've realized... So that's not an option. :/ I will think about the other possibilities.

I know, that's why I wanted to do it - I was thinking that the experience will be one of a kind. :)

Well, I will see... In any case, I will post candling pictures tomorrow. Who knows, maybe I will be surprised. :)
Yeah. It is very special, and you'll have a great bond with them for life.
Fingers crossed were pleasantly surprised tomorrow!

Incubating/hatching is the best. I hope you get to try it someday! You'll becone addicted!
Believe me- as soon as I can, I will! I have evil plans that involve a LOT of chickens, so hatching will have to help build that up! Right now, the main blockers are cost and roosters-parents WILL NOT allow a roo. Neither will neighbors.

Believe me- as soon as I can, I will! I have evil plans that involve a LOT of chickens, so hatching will have to help build that up! Right now, the main blockers are cost and roosters-parents WILL NOT allow a roo. Neither will neighbors.
Sounds perfect! I'll be evil too, and recommend that you get an NR 360 when you start "hatching" your evil plan :lau
I'm so impressed with mine. My hopes weren't high from the get go, but boy, it's good. Aw, I hope you move somewhere where you can have roos. They're such special little guys.
You'll love hatching. It's so fun, you'll become a hatchaholic. There's worse things to be addicted to :idunno
Lol

Sounds perfect! I'll be evil too, and recommend that you get an NR 360 when you start "hatching" your evil plan :lau
I'm so impressed with mine. My hopes weren't high from the get go, but boy, it's good. Aw, I hope you love somewhere where you can have roos. They're such special little guys.
Don't worry-my dream home is a hobby farm in the maine countryside. A place that allows roos is a must! I'd love to have a bachelor pad/rooster rescue some day.

Don't worry-my dream home is a hobby farm in the maine countryside. A place that allows roos is a must! I'd love to have a bachelor pad/rooster rescue some day.
Sounds like a great plan. I want to have a bachelor flock someday too. Roos are awesome.

Sounds like a great plan. I want to have a bachelor flock someday too. Roos are awesome.
My *very evil* plans: (that probably won't happen but i can try)
-standard chicken flock
-bantam flock
-bachelor pad/rooster rescue (or as 2 separate entities)
-ducks
-pigeons+quail
-sheep
That doesn't even include the house pets. My goal is to live and die surrounded by animals. In maine because maine is great.

Yeah. It is very special, and you'll have a great bond with them for life.
Fingers crossed were pleasantly surprised tomorrow!
So I candled the eggs just now and I don't see any change (apart from the air cell changing shape) and no movement. I am sure the egg would look very different at 15th/16th day, right? I should probably wait for your confirmation, but I turned off the incubator anyway as I don't feel there is any life there...

Attachments

• 480B9E11-897E-4F6C-8E52-D46C222A7E2B.jpeg
    480B9E11-897E-4F6C-8E52-D46C222A7E2B.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 7ECDA19D-FA6B-4FDC-A28C-83194C3D42FB.jpeg
    7ECDA19D-FA6B-4FDC-A28C-83194C3D42FB.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 90DCF9D5-3A81-46FC-B3A0-48CD3730E106.jpeg
    90DCF9D5-3A81-46FC-B3A0-48CD3730E106.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 912A1CE5-5EF9-49EF-AB86-3AEE37DFC3E6.jpeg
    912A1CE5-5EF9-49EF-AB86-3AEE37DFC3E6.jpeg