Advice on incubated egg - is it viable?

I just read that the temperature for ventilated incubators should be around 99 - 99,5 F -, so about 37,2-37,5 C - is that true? I thought it's always 38C, no matter what and 37,5 is only for the last 3 lockdown days. That's what the manual says as well.

In any case, the eggs arrived about an hour ago and they are already in the incubator, starting their day 1! :) They look very nice and are much bigger and has more conical shape than the previous egg, which was smaller and more round. They are looking really healthy! So fingers crossed! :) I will be turning 5 times a day this time.
All incubators need to have ventilation. But the forced air ones, (with a fan) need to be kept at 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. Still air (no fan) needs to be kept at 102 Fahrenheit at all times. It doesn't change at lockdown. Some people do lower it a bit, but the way I see it as is he hen doesn't suddenly change her temp when the eggs start to hatch. I always leave it at 99.5 and have great hatches. Just be sure it's actually 99.5, check with a calibrated thermometer.
That's great!!!

Just a little update - I was candling last night and 3 out of the 4 are showing signs of life! 😊 I've removed the 4th from the incubator as there was no sign of a single vein (and I had a good comparison with the other 3) - looks like it was infertile.
What day was it on? Usually it's best to wait until day 14 to pull any, just to be absolutely sure.
That's so great that 3 are developing!

Hi there, may I ask you for advice on two eggs later on today? I was candling yesterday and found out that one egg is cracked (don't really know how that happened, must have been something during candling, it's really odd - in any case, I removed it from the incubator). And the last two are rather strange. I haven't seen any movement at all, which is weird. One of them has no veins whatsoever and looks rather lifeless, the other one might be alive (there seems to be more going on - a large portion of the egg is darker and reddish), but there was also no movement (do you always see movement on the 10-12th day?), although there has been visible growth or change since the last candling on 7th day. There is a large vein or line on the circumference of the eggshell which I am afraid might be a blood ring. I will candle the eggs later today real quick when it's dark and post photos.
Cracked eggs can do just fine as long as they're patched. Do you still have it?
Yeah, there should be movement by the 10th-12th day. :hmm
Sounds like a blood ring. Let me look at the pics quick.

No problem at all! :)

So I candled the eggs again and here are the pictures of the egg I am not sure about. I don't think I see any movement, but I can't say for sure.

The other one's insides move very freely when I turn the egg and the air bubble actually moves around - I don't suppose that's a good sign right?
For 10/12 days they look like early quitters. The one definitely has a blood ring, not sure about the other one. Keep them both in just in case, but might just be a bad batch. Sorry. :hugs

For 10/12 days they look like early quitters. The one definitely has a blood ring, not sure about the other one. Keep them both in just in case, but might just be a bad batch. Sorry. :hugs
Thank you very much for all the answers!

So it is as I feared. :( You think that the one with moving insides and moving air cell can be alive? It definitely looks less alive than the one with the ring. And how should I proceed then? This was 13th day, so should I candle them again like tomorrow on 15th day again and if there is no change, I can call it a day? I don't want to keep the incubator running if there is no hope for these eggs...

Thank you very much for all the answers!

So it is as I feared. :( You think that the one with moving insides and moving air cell can be alive? It definitely looks less alive than the one with the ring. And how should I proceed then? This was 13th day, so should I candle them again like tomorrow on 15th day again and if there is no change, I can call it a day? I don't want to keep the incubator running if there is no hope for these eggs...
Post more candling pics in a couple days. I'm sorry.
Fingers crossed they might still be alive. :fl

Post more candling pics in a couple days. I'm sorry.
Fingers crossed they might still be alive. :fl
All right, I will, thank you! So I will try and candle the eggs on Wednesday, which should be the 16th day (or should 15th day be enough?) and see what happens. If there will be no change whatsoever I will turn the incubator off. Thank you for all your advice, much appreciated!

You re doing a great job! And three times a charm you know! And it am work better to see fi there are any farms or neighbors int eh area that have chickens and get some fertile eggs form them. I've heard that shipped eggs don't usually have goo hatching rates. Good luck, Avery
Thank you! :) I've read about the shipped eggs as well so it definitely might contribute to this. But I think it's the incubator that is a game-changer - if I would have a better one (ideally automatic), I think almost all the issues would be solved.

Back
Top Bottom