Advice on incubated egg - is it viable?

Pics
So I did the candling, took me unfortunately a bit longer than I thought it would, because I was trying to get photos and trying to see some movement - and sadly, I've seen none :( I am afraid the chick is not alive. I don't know what could've gone wrong... What do you think?

Attachments

• 371C261A-B4AA-4206-AD17-7749C3EB0889.jpeg
    371C261A-B4AA-4206-AD17-7749C3EB0889.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 13CA8815-9497-49D5-928B-ECFE973B2A09.jpeg
    13CA8815-9497-49D5-928B-ECFE973B2A09.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 536673FF-D6A4-4EB4-8519-319D90CDEC5F.jpeg
    536673FF-D6A4-4EB4-8519-319D90CDEC5F.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 6
So I did the candling, took me unfortunately a bit longer than I thought it would, because I was trying to get photos and trying to see some movement - and sadly, I've seen none :( I am afraid the chick is not alive. I don't know what could've gone wrong... What do you think?
I'm sorry. It could have just been a weaker chick and didn't have enough energy to hatch, or it could have gotten bacterial contamination, and many other things. I'm sure it was nothing you did. I'm really sorry. :hugs

I'm sorry. It could have just been a weaker chick and didn't have enough energy to hatch, or it could have gotten bacterial contamination, and many other things. I'm sure it was nothing you did. I'm really sorry. :hugs
Thank you... So I guess I will turn off the incubator right? :(

I am wondering whether it wasn't me setting the egg into a horizontal position on the 18th lockdown day... The incubator's tray is done so that the eggs are standing vertically (pointy side down), but I saw that the eggs always hatch while being laid horizontally, which makes sense, so that's what I did as well although it wasn't mentioned in the incubator's manual - and the egg was sitting vertically up until then the entire time. Although it seems weird to me that this alone would have such an impact...

And I am also wondering whether I should call it a day and give up, or try and get new eggs... And this time more of them so the chances for two chicks to hatch as I initially planned are higher.

I am wondering whether it wasn't me setting the egg into a horizontal position on the 18th lockdown day... The incubator's tray is done so that the eggs are standing vertically (pointy side down), but I saw that the eggs always hatch while being laid horizontally, which makes sense, so that's what I did as well although it wasn't mentioned in the incubator's manual - and the egg was sitting vertically up until then the entire time. Although it seems weird to me that this alone would have such an impact...

And I am also wondering whether I should call it a day and give up, or try and get new eggs... And this time more of them so the chances for two chicks to hatch as I initially planned are higher.
That wouldn't have caused it. I do that frequently and never have problems.
You should try to get more eggs. Don't give up. Get 5 this time though. I'm sorry again about your chick. Know it wasn't your fault though.

That wouldn't have caused it. I do that frequently and never have problems.
You should try to get more eggs. Don't give up. Get 5 this time though. I'm sorry again about your chick. Know it wasn't your fault though.
Thank you, I appreciate you saying that.. :hugs I will think about getting more eggs. I am unsure about the number though - you know I was calculating to raise two chicks and get four adopted from the poultry house, as 6 is really the maximum amount of chickens I can - and want to keep. What are the chances that if I get say 4 eggs (that's maximum capacity of my small incubator) all four of them will hatch? :) Also regarding the hens and roosters - what if there is more than one rooster? All of these chances get higher with higher amount of eggs. But I know you said 50% hatch rate - so should I at best expect 2 chicks out of those 4 eggs?

Thank you, I appreciate you saying that.. :hugs I will think about getting more eggs. I am unsure about the number though - you know I was calculating to raise two chicks and get four adopted from the poultry house, as 6 is really the maximum amount of chickens I can - and want to keep. What are the chances that if I get say 4 eggs (that's maximum capacity of my small incubator) all four of them will hatch? :) Also regarding the hens and roosters - what if there is more than one rooster? All of these chances get higher with higher amount of eggs. But I know you said 50% hatch rate - so should I at best expect 2 chicks out of those 4 eggs?
Oh, ok. I just said 5 to be safe. If your incubator can only fit 4, just get 4. I didn't realize you had a max number. If you have checked your incubator with a calibrated thermometer, and turn them often, the chances are pretty good that at least half will hatch (if they're viable healthy embryos). If any boys hatch (which may very well be all of them, the smaller the number of eggs you're hatching the more chance you may get all roos or all hens) you can either process them, sell them, or keep one. Only one though. If you keep more than 1 they'll fight and abuse your hens, since you aren't going to have very many. Roosters are very good birds though, if you have a good roo he'll take amazing care of your flock. Yes, you should hopefully be able to expect 2 chicks, if all goes well. Let me know what happens!

Oh, ok. I just said 5 to be safe. If your incubator can only fit 4, just get 4. I didn't realize you had a max number. If you have checked your incubator with a calibrated thermometer, and turn them often, the chances are pretty good that at least half will hatch (if they're viable healthy embryos). If any boys hatch (which may very well be all of them, the smaller the number of eggs you're hatching the more chance you may get all roos or all hens) you can either process them, sell them, or keep one. Only one though. If you keep more than 1 they'll fight and abuse your hens, since you aren't going to have very many. Roosters are very good birds though, if you have a good roo he'll take amazing care of your flock. Yes, you should hopefully be able to expect 2 chicks, if all goes well. Let me know what happens!
All right, I will get 4 and this time all Ayam cemani. :) The incubator has a thermometer and I was turning the eggs twice a day (that's how it was recommended in the manual). And if there will be more roosters, I would definitely keep just one and I am sure the other wouldn't be hard to sell since Ayam cemani is a pretty unique breed. :)

Thank you for your advice! I will give an update how will it go, when the time comes. :)

All right, I will get 4 and this time all Ayam cemani. :) The incubator has a thermometer and I was turning the eggs twice a day (that's how it was recommended in the manual). And if there will be more roosters, I would definitely keep just one and I am sure the other wouldn't be hard to sell since Ayam cemani is a pretty unique breed. :)

Thank you for your advice! I will give an update how will it go, when the time comes. :)
The digital readout on the thermometer is usually wrong. You want to check with a separate calibrated thermometer. Sounds good! Good luck! Cemanis are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom