Advice on incubated egg - is it viable?

I have a broody raising one chick. Haven't been able to put him with my two. They're five days apart, and met eachother at under a week of age. He fights them.
One week could be fine, it could not.
It's worth a try.

It was super cute when I added in 3 ordered day olds and four impulse buys, all probably 3-4 days old, in with the other chicks which were at least 2 weeks old! Some just hung out under the heat plate but others were immediately mixing with the ‘big kids’ scratching in the shavings. Had a few day old Cochin (which I am wondering if it’s a banty) scratching along side a huge light brahma like they have been friends forever. And some of the little ones opted to snuggle up to the older ones instead of going under the heat plate at night, too!

Right now, with the oldest at 4.5 weeks, I would not add young ones, as it seems some of them, especially the two I know are Roos, are starting to feel their ‘oats’ .

Also it might be dependent on breed too. Mine are quite a mixed back of breeds, but all are supposed to be friendly. And the majority are supposed to be hens. Not sure if that matters at such a young age though.

I have a broody raising one chick. Haven't been able to put him with my two. They're five days apart, and met eachother at under a week of age. He fights them.
One week could be fine, it could not.
It's worth a try.
As you say, it's worth a try. I suppose it will always come down to the individual birds and their personalities. Thanks!

In any case, I will give you all an update next week on how things unfolded in the end. :)

It was super cute when I added in 3 ordered day olds and four impulse buys, all probably 3-4 days old, in with the other chicks which were at least 2 weeks old! Some just hung out under the heat plate but others were immediately mixing with the ‘big kids’ scratching in the shavings. Had a few day old Cochin (which I am wondering if it’s a banty) scratching along side a huge light brahma like they have been friends forever. And some of the little ones opted to snuggle up to the older ones instead of going under the heat plate at night, too!

Right now, with the oldest at 4.5 weeks, I would not add young ones, as it seems some of them, especially the two I know are Roos, are starting to feel their ‘oats’ .

Also it might be dependent on breed too. Mine are quite a mixed back of breeds, but all are supposed to be friendly. And the majority are supposed to be hens. Not sure if that matters at such a young age though.
That's sounds super cute, would love to see that. :D

I hope you can find some young chicks! I guess though you could get one of the older chicks and try it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you could pick out your bird, you could pick a smaller one or a lower on the pecking order one. That would probably grow up to be a more docile bird, and it might bond to your chick well. Of course, you'd have to wait until your chick is 4 days old or so before integrating it in with the older one. The older one would be about 2 and a half weeks old by then. So I'm not sure it would work. You would definitely want only one older one though. The majority of times I've tried this it hasn't worked. Usually the little chick gets hurt by it (whether on purpose or accidental) or gets terrified, and won't go near it at all, ever. The only time it worked for me was when my 2 week old single bob chick's siblings hatched (I had set 3 eggs before the other's, but this one's 2 siblings died prior to hatching) I put them in one at a time wit him. Now he acts as a mama to his 9 little siblings. He's a very good boy.
Like the others said, a hen would not work. She would have to go broody by at the very least today in order to accept it. And even then she might reject it. The hen will not accept a chick if she's been broody for only 5 days, for example. It has to be about 21 days.
And you still don't know for certain this chick will hatch. I hope it does, of course, but be prepared that it may not. So wait to get any companion chicks until it hatches. Make sure you have some places to get them lined up though. Good luck! I'll be watching for the update. Let us know if you find some chicks!

I hope you can find some young chicks! I guess though you could get one of the older chicks and try it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you could pick out your bird, you could pick a smaller one or a lower on the pecking order one. That would probably grow up to be a more docile bird, and it might bond to your chick well. Of course, you'd have to wait until your chick is 4 days old or so before integrating it in with the older one. The older one would be about 2 and a half weeks old by then. So I'm not sure it would work. You would definitely want only one older one though. The majority of times I've tried this it hasn't worked. Usually the little chick gets hurt by it (whether on purpose or accidental) or gets terrified, and won't go near it at all, ever. The only time it worked for me was when my 2 week old single bob chick's siblings hatched (I had set 3 eggs before the other's, but this one's 2 siblings died prior to hatching) I put them in one at a time wit him. Now he acts as a mama to his 9 little siblings. He's a very good boy.
Like the others said, a hen would not work. She would have to go broody by at the very least today in order to accept it. And even then she might reject it. The hen will not accept a chick if she's been broody for only 5 days, for example. It has to be about 21 days.
And you still don't know for certain this chick will hatch. I hope it does, of course, but be prepared that it may not. So wait to get any companion chicks until it hatches. Make sure you have some places to get them lined up though. Good luck! I'll be watching for the update. Let us know if you find some chicks!
Thanks a lot for your insight! I will do my best to find a chick buddy (find someone who could sell me young one after mine successfully hatches) and will see how things go next week when it will be hatching time. :) I will let you know!

Thanks a lot for your insight! I will do my best to find a chick buddy (find someone who could sell me young one after mine successfully hatches) and will see how things go next week when it will be hatching time. :) I will let you know!
Sounds good! Good luck!!!

Just my 2 cents, lol; I’ve had multiple groups of different aged chicks in the same brooder. I find it’s much easier to incorporate them all when they’re only a week or 2 apart. Any older or a larger age gap and the bigger ones don’t seem to get it and pick on the littler ones. However, I did successfully have a 4 week old, 2x 2 week olds, and days olds in the same brooder with absolutely no issues. I think because the oldest had already had little chicks introduced to her when she was a couple weeks old, she didn’t care much when the tiniest ones came in - she had already experienced the same thing before.
They weren’t in the space she wanted under the heating pad, since they went to the back where it’s lowest, they’re not up in the food dish in her way, etc. It actually became a good thing because once the littles started coming out more, when they got startled they would run to the bigger chick and tuck themselves up against her. I’m sure individual personalities make a difference but my experience has been that if you introduce day olds to week olds, they seem to be ok. Ducklings on the other hand, not so much. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom