Advice on injured leg?

I was doing the same thing but he was not happy in the cage and wasn’t getting better so I let him out. Most of the hens were his, but only a few stayed with him, and I keep checking hiM and epsom salt baths.
I did warm epsom salt baths. Mines not really happy either, but he keeps trying to mate the ladies and wing dancing, so i’m trying to not let him mingle with them.

She has been breathing a little heavier for a while now but it’s not like she’s gasping for air or mouth breathing. No sign of any respiratory distress. I’ve just put it down to age tbh.
Any other birds showing the same?

Trying to rule out bird flu. Hemorrhaging/bruising of the legs is a symptom.

Face color looks good, which a good sign.
Yeah overall she’s perfectly fine, still making her little noises, happy to eat and has her curios nature still. All she’s been doing is standing round a little more and limping when she’s on the move. When I bring her inside from the rest of the flock for her salt baths she lets herself sit and rest it after. Not quite sure what she’s done tbh.

Are those red markings on both legs in approximately the same place? If this was a rooster, I would say it's from hormones becoming active. But since they seem to be on the outer rim of each scale, I suspect possible scaly leg mites may be attacking the scales. In case this is what is causing the redness, I suggest going ahead and treating the legs with castor oil. The added benefit is that this oil has antibiotic properties and will also help control bacteria. Apply the oil once each day for about three or four days. It's messy and attracts dirt during treatment, but ignore it. It will all be worn off in a week.

Bruising on light legged chickens shows as a light green, not red. But I'm concerned about the apparent injury to back of the one leg, the two top ones. How high is her perch? Very often, hens get heavier as they get older, and they will have trouble getting up to a high perch, and often this can cause injuries when they miss and hit their legs on the perch. Continued injuries can wear away the scales, causing inflammation. If her perch is higher than a foot off the floor, it needs to be lowered. To verify my hunch, you should observe her as she roosts to see if she's having trouble.

All the others are fine, they’re a lot more skittish than their mum but may have to assess them all individually now. I hope it’s not the case for flu 🥲
That's good.

It probably isn't. Just better to be safe then sorry.

How does the leg feel? Does it feel warm, or like there's a break?

Are those red markings on both legs in approximately the same place? If this was a rooster, I would say it's from hormones becoming active. But since they seem to be on the outer rim of each scale, I suspect possible scaly leg mites may be attacking the scales. In case this is what is causing the redness, I suggest going ahead and treating the legs with castor oil. The added benefit is that this oil has antibiotic properties and will also help control bacteria. Apply the oil once each day for about three or four days. It's messy and attracts dirt during treatment, but ignore it. It will all be worn off in a week.

Bruising on light legged chickens shows as a light green, not red. But I'm concerned about the apparent injury to back of the one leg, the two top ones. How high is her perch? Very often, hens get heavier as they get older, and they will have trouble getting up to a high perch, and often this can cause injuries when they miss and hit their legs on the perch. Continued injuries can wear away the scales, causing inflammation. If her perch is higher than a foot off the floor, it needs to be lowered. To verify my hunch, you should observe her as she roosts to see if she's having trouble.
The red marks are all on one leg, the only issue I think she has on her other foot (see image with the orange tag round her ankle) is what appears to be bumblefoot.

Her perch is honestly really low in my opinion. It’s only 10cm max off the floor. We have one of those nestera chicken coops. Maybe she’s still struggling though 🤔

Back
Top Bottom