Advice on knives and other utensils (for processing, not entertaining)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by snewman, May 12, 2009.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I've been processing my own birds for one year now. It still takes me much longer than it should, mostly because my tools all suck. I have a collection of dull knives, game shears and kitchen shears that I shuffle through each time I'm processing. I bought a cheap filet knife for cutting throats, but it was dull after one use. If I was going to invest in one, maybe two, GOOD quality tools, what would you recommend in terms of knives, shears, etc.?

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I've never actually processed birds, but I have posted them. I just use an exacto knife I picked up at a craft store and the closest set of hedge sheers. lol. But carcass quality doesn't matter when posting... and it does get a bit messy with the hedge sheers.

3. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Search for Forester knives, also Atlanta Sharptech knives. Professional knives used in the trade. They are expensive but last, and are worth it.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    My husband has a hunting knife that is always razor sharp. He spends lots of time sharpening it too....

I recommend an axe or hatchet. A quick hard chop will work even with a dull axe. MO

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    One word Cutco. They are guaranteed for life. Best knives I have ever owned. My mother had a set from the 50's and they are still easily sharpened. My husband said to invest in a Lansky sharpener. You can sharpen any knife razor sharp. [​IMG]

6. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Thanks, I'll check some of these out. I appreciate the suggestions!

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I kill with a razor knife, and butcher with a fillet knife. You don't need anything too heavy, as you aren't cutting bone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by