Advice on Raising multiple age group flock

MamaChick0708

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have a flock of cuties that are varying in age, from 4 almost 5 weeks to a solid 2 almost 3 week. The temperature here has been holding at a steady 70-74 degrees outside, I would like to start taking them out to romp around but my littlest ones are silkie mixes and are tiny birds at the same time I don't want my 4-5 week olds not to begin getting used to going out and I definitely don't want to mess up the pecking order. Advice on whether it would be safe to take the little birds out?

Do it! Just stand by to referee.

The way you referee is to do what the alpha chicken in a flock would do when a chick steps out of line - peck it on the back.

Of course, you don't have a beak, so you need to use your finger. Just a swift oke straight down on the middle of the back to discipline a chick. It will understand it did wrong, and if it repeats the behavior, poke it again. do it each time it bullies a smaller chick or picks on one its own size. Adult chickens do this all the time with younger flock member when they cause trouble, and it keeps the peace.

Your different aged chicks need to get used to being a flock, and romping in the big outdoors is an excellent place to do it. Choose a nice calm 70 degree sunny day, and the younger ones will do splendidly away from heat for a half hour.

Back
Top Bottom