Advice on rasing chicks with my flock

Ilikechickensalittlebit

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
I have a special little flock of chickens I keep separate from the bigger flock for several reasons. The Main reason being one of its hens is blind. There are 4 hens in total, my blind Amberlink, and My leghorn hen raised The black sexlink and light brahma together along with 2 other chicken that have since been removed. They were abt 20 weeks at that time and even so young Amber would let them under her wings at night and the leghorn never caused an issue as she is one of the most laid back chickens I owned. With that background info, my sex link is broody and has been sitting on a clutch about 8 days. All the chickens are extremely docile and never pick on eachother. Would it be safe to let her raise the chicks with them? Or should I still separate them after the hatch? Ty if you've read this far I'd love some advice!

I find it interesting that your leghorn is docile. I have a silkie flock and a large fowl flock. As my Silkies are constantly broody I sometimes have them hatch large fowl. The chicks grow up seeing the small fluffy docile mothers as dominant. I don't have problems with pullets who are raised by them being bullies I think they are more docile than their biological parents. Some have remained in that flock as adults. On the other hand I find I need to remove the LF cockerals from the silkie coop much earlier than I remove them from the large fowl coop.

I find it interesting that your leghorn is docile. I have a silkie flock and a large fowl flock. As my Silkies are constantly broody I sometimes have them hatch large fowl. The chicks grow up seeing the small fluffy docile mothers as dominant. I don't have problems with pullets who are raised by them being bullies I think they are more docile than their biological parents. Some have remained in that flock as adults. On the other hand I find I need to remove the LF cockerals from the silkie coop much earlier than I remove them from the large fowl coop.
She is very sweet! She's been moved to the big flock by her own choice tho, i think she likes the roost better. Acctually a chicken hatched this morning. Unfortunately I think it will be an only child unless I can convince my parents to take me to tractor supply for some siblings:( I'll be introducing the other 2 hens in a neutral space later this evening and likely separately the mom and baby for the night just so they aren't left unsupervised.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1309454692.jpg
    Snapchat-1309454692.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom