Advice on storage bins needed

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
What type storage bins do you use to store ALL the different bags of feed, scratch, oyster shell, etc??? PLUS DE (which I haven't ordered yet)

Can you post pictures of what you use?

I was thinking about ordering 3 -4 of these bins to stack up tall... do you think it will work ok?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9606596
There is free shipping if I choose the ship to nearest store.

I have a Morgan shed that these 3 of those big 50 lb bags are just sitting on the floor taking up space and I want to tidy up, and find a better storage solution that will keep bugs out and avoid any mice or rat problems, and I like the stackable part, IF it will work and hold up 3 high like I'm hoping for.

The other thing I'm noticing is sitting in the original bags that the layer pellets are partly breaking down (probably due to high humidity here in the deep south) to a dust like consistancy and the chickens only eat the pellets ( but I can make a wet mash out of the powder which they devour), but I'm concerned with spoilage.

For my rabbit feed we have ONE Medium size metal trash can (purchased for rabbit food specifically) and that works great for a 50 lb bag but it kind of wastes space since it only gets half full with a new bag. I sometimes store excess timothy hay in bags in extra space but it's easy to lift out. The rabbit food does NOT break down in this can but it is a harder consistency.. and the metal can DOES seem to keep out pests and the food stays fresh. It's just not as efficent to get more cans I think because I'd need 3-4 more of those and would eat up more floor space.

Any advice is appreciated. Just curious to see how the rest of you store all these chicken supplies.

Last edited:
I have no solution for you but wil eagerly awaiti any answers you receive! I have layer pellet for the first time, it is stored in a dark green, plastic trash barrel. I just recently asked myself, "Why is there so much "dust" in the barrel?" Your thoughts about the pellet breaking down into dust makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the question!

I got three metal garbage containers with the tight fitting covers and I leave my foods right in the bags and put the bags right in the clean garbage containers. I have one for DE, one for the food, and one for the cracked corn treat. My son and I decorate them too
big_smile.png
I can take pics tomorrow and post for you.

Thanks Linda and Hangin!

Hangin'... I'd love to see other storage solutions! So please do post your pics
smile.png
It would be fun to see how ya'll decorated them
smile.png

Linda... It just dawned on me when responding to another post what I can start doing with the layena POWDER, is to make a wet mash out of it. I learned that they liked it recently after they devoured some that accidentally got wet and became a wet mash.

I was looking at their gravity feeders today and thinking "oh boy.. I need to pour out all that powder accumulating in the bottom"... but now I'm thinking that is so wasteful and I don't think it has gone bad or anything.... so tomorrow I'm going to salvage the powder and give them a wet mash treat! Walla... no waste!

Still, I do want to order those bins... but had hoped to hear some more responses before I do. the thing with ordering online, it though they can be returned, it's more of a hassle. It sure LOOKS like a good solution and they do say they are stackable and hold 50 lb bags of Dog food...

We also use the metal trash cans. I leave my feed in the bags, and I can put 2-50# bags in each one. Dad just dumps his right in the can, and he can fit 3 bags...
smile.png

Those are nice, but I would think if you get critters in there that like to chew (mice,rats,squirrels,chipmunks) you may find a problem with the plastic. I think most people use the metal trash cans. Good Luck!

I also use metal trash cans. I use bungee cords to keep the raccoons out. The bungee gets attached to one can handle, stretches through the handle on the lid, and attaches to the other can handle. I then have the can bungee-corded to a tree so they can't knock it over. I hang the feeders and waterers with bungees. I even have the door of the chicken tractor bungee-corded shut. I use bungees for everything - you could call me "bungee-girl"
smile.png

Derby

We have plastic rubber made totes, trash cans, even a few cooler that no longer seem to keep cold. Even an old chest/bench freezer.
The freezer holds LOTS of feed.
The rubber made totes work wonderful. I have one in the chicken coop along with a covered trash can. Yeah the chickens get the outside dirty once in a while, but I am ok with that.
Our pigs have a 2 totes, and 3 trash cans outside there pens. I have all the feed and treats in the cans and the totes hold grooming tools and other needed things.
The sheep have the freezer to store the feed we use in the winter. Along with totes for shearing needs, lambing needs, non refrigorated meds, etc.etc.
I have not had any problems with any animals getting into the feed. No rodents or pest. The one and only time my sheep got into a bin was because I left to top off (forgot to put it back on).

I have alot of cats and get Tidy Cats litter in the big 3 gallon square buckets. When cleaned they work really well for storing food. The tops open on a hinge and the buckets are extra heavy duty.

Back
Top Bottom