Advice on treating pecking injuries to 3mo Marans pullets

FennecMom

Chirping
Jan 23, 2021
Hello BYC. Today my small suburban flock of 4 feather babies turned 3mo. So far it has been a healthy, thriving chick life for them.

This afternoon we noticed that the Cuckoo had an injured comb - one of the pointy "tines" on the comb is entirely dark blood red color, and there is both fresh & dried blood on her comb. Seems like blood is from the base of that pointy piece. Looks also like there is a 2nd, smaller peck wound lower down her comb, toward her beak.

The Golden Cuckoo, with feathery feet, has dried blood on her left foot/ankle. (sorry - what is a chicken ankle called?)

I sprayed Vetericyn antibiotic on each injured bird's wounds. Their behavior and demeanor seem fine and normal.

First half of today was pretty dramatic for them - we had tree trimmers here with chain saws for several hours. All 4 birds were stressed and hiding in their coop for a couple hours. Later, when they bravely returned to the run, they still seemed very jumpy (even though the saws were no longer in use).

Anyway, they have never bullied/pecked each other before, even with 2 of them having feathered feet.

My questions are:
Should I be doing anything above & beyond the Vetericyn spray for the wounds?
Would they suddenly start bullying/pecking each other, even though they've never behaved that way with each other? Or was it possibly a stress response to the noisy, scary morning they had with tree trimming near their enclosure?
Lastly, we will be out of town this weekend. If these wounds aren't healed by then, do I need to get someone to come by and check on their injuries? Vetericyn spray them while I'm away?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• Dumpling comb left side.png
    Dumpling comb left side.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • Dumpling comb right side.png
    Dumpling comb right side.png
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • Hen Solo left foot.png
    Hen Solo left foot.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
I think a little bit of blood on the comb is normal. I often see this with my chickens it’s a pecking order thing. If you do not want them to pack at the bloody wounds then you can put a powder like cornstarch over them to conceal the red color.

I think a little bit of blood on the comb is normal. I often see this with my chickens it’s a pecking order thing. If you do not want them to pack at the bloody wounds then you can put a powder like cornstarch over them to conceal the red color.
Thank you! I will try the cornstarch.

Yup bloody combs are perfectly normal and we haven’t had to even cover our girls’ bloody combs before!😉
Thank you - that's good to know! I find myself being pretty overcautious with these little hens. I guess I don't want them to realize I am a first time flock keeper hehehe :)

Back
Top Bottom