Advice - parasites or disease?

fancbrd4me02

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2009
San Diego, California
I have a rooster that I posted a question about last week, his legs were bloody and he was underweight. I isolated him, sprayed the wounds (from picking, I think - although the original bleeding occured w/out any visible injuries) I examined him and noticed he had a moderate infestation of mites. Dusted him and whole flock, kept him isolated. His health appears to be deteriorating. No more bleeding or mites, but weak. Seems unco-ordinated/off balanced. If he falls down, he cant stand up on his own. No discharge from eyes, nose, etc., no gaping, respiratory involvement, no diarhhea. Has a BIG appetite, drinks, goes to bathroom. Poop is greenish yellow and pasty, lots of white. Since he doesn't act "ill" aside from weakness, etc, I was thinking worms/internal parasites. I want opinions before I worm, cause I don't want to kill him by stressing him with a wormer - unless the consensus is to try it. I have wazine. Also, don't know if this is relevent, but my turkeys killed a rat, so he may have had contact with rats/droppings.

Oh also, I forgot to add that he has a very pale shrunken comb, wattles. Color is returning a bit after a few days of seperation, and Rooster booster vitamins, but not that much.

Sounds like he may have coccidia, you'd have to do a vet fecal swab to know for sure though, any sulfur based meds will fix that.
Has he been wormed? Another sign if he eats and still is light, try that too, cant hurt a thing.
Hope he gets better for you.
Aubrey

I would worm him ASAP. Also about his weight loss, have you actually weighed him ever? If not, I would suggest doing so today. Then next week, weigh him again. You will have a definate answer as to whether he is really losing weight or you just think he is. I say this because alot of roos are on the thinner side, their metabolism is faster than a hen and they are usually more active with breeding. I have a roo that I would swear is losing weight but each week when I weigh him, he is a pound heavier. As they continue to grow taller, wider, they sometimes appear to thin out. Depending on what wormer you use, make sure you dust him again a week to 10 days after his first dusting. mites are hard to fully get rid of.

I have a 6 mo. old hen that is fluffed, dull eyes, @ first thought she was regurgitating, but now think she is trying to swallow, constantly. Tries to eat, but don't think she is getting much, if any. Drinks quite a lot. Noticed two days ago that she has a very full crop and quite hard. She still goes in and out of the coop with others, and perches, but desperately needs help. We feed layer crumbles and have oyster shells available. Only have 7 hens and they don't free range. Any ideas? It seems our vets are closed for the Holiday weekend.

Last edited:
Also sounds like it could be worms or coccidia....... often they will puff up and seem dull. Worm with Wazine or Safeguard goat or horse wormer...... then wait a few days and use Corid for coccidia. I give about 1/4 cc directly in the mouth(Corid only) to make sure they are getting it. Both of these are fairly safe if directions are followed, and mostly won't cause damage if worms etc. are not the problem.

Last edited:
Quote:
Have you opened it's mouth to look it, saw some recent post of birds with cancker in them, yellowy nasty looking mess in their mouth/throat area, can become cronic very quickly and kill them. Check to be sure!

Thanks for all the posts - I looked in his mouth, clear & nothing unusual. I have never weighed him, but he's a Marans, was very heavy before, now he feels like he weighs (and feels) about the same as about 3 coathangers and a bag of feathers. I think he may be less than half his past weight. I will weigh him tonight, and update on the progress. I am going to worm him tonight. I don't think it's coccidiosis because he eats, drinks, no diarhhea, just slightly soft stools. No drips, ooze, cough, repiratory indications, etc. I will let you all know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom