ADVICE PLEASE: 16 wk pullet not eating much - GOOD UPDATE!

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
My 16 week old BR pullet (Dumpling) is normally a feathered pig. Dumpling hasn't been eating much since I noticed that she didn't seem right on Wednesday evening. She will eat some bread, a grape or two, and some yogurt. She is not voraciously wolfing anything that is food, which was typical for her.

Her behavior has changed: She is avoiding roosting with the other birds but they come to her because she's top girl. She is normally the first out of and last into the coop. This has now reversed in the past 2 days. She walks around just fine. As for appearance, her face and ears are very red but her crop is pale.

Weight as of this morning: 2 lb 10.7 oz. Unknown if she's losing weight but I suspect she may be.

There have been 2 recent environmental changes.
1. I just returned to work after 2.5 weeks on vacation, during which time the girls free-ranged. They've been returned to their run while I'm away during the day, with a few minutes in the evenings to FR before dusk.
2. I switched the flock over to a layer feed from a chick starter. Treats are all the same. DBF is buying her some of the old food today to see if she'll eat it.

Her crop was soft and spongy the other night. Last night it was mostly empty until she took some bread from me. It was empty this morning.

She has spent the past 2 nights in our kitchen "chickinfirmary": plastic bin with pine shavings. The first night she pooped twice. Last night she pooped 5-6 times. Poop is green and watery with a medium firmness to the solid part. She spends her days with the girls in the run outside. She is not vomiting.

This morning she ate a few crumbs of bread and a couple of grapes.

Tonight I plan to add apple cider vinegar to her water.

I do not have funds for a vet visit. I would appreciate input on what may be wrong, as well as any guidance for home treatment.

Thank you!

Last edited:
For 2 days after the switch to layer feed I had watery droppings like you described and then they passed and all is well. Was she laying? These are my first birds, but I was told to wait until laying to offer the new food because the extra calcium can strain the kidneys. My girls certainly had the other changes you describe and all is well know. Please let us know how she is doing.

Is the poo normal smelling or foul? I'm pretty new to chicken ER's. Lots of things pop into mind like... Is she missing you or her freedom? did she get intosomething she shouldn't have that's messed up her gut?

Poo seemed normal-smelling when she was standing on the edge of the plastic bin, turned around and squeezed out a nice "thank you" squirt down the leg of my clean flannel pajama bottoms.

Sorry to hear Dumplings not feeling well. (I wonder if she'll start faking her symptoms to get more time in the kitchen! I suspect she's getting spoiled rotten!)
sad.png

I came home from work today expecting the worst and she was back to her normal self!

The silver lining is that now we've got 100 lbs of chicken feed. LOL

Most of my hens also get runny poo for a few days when they start laying. I guess it is just a strain on their little systems for a few days until they get settled. I don't know it she has started laying or not but that is just an observation that I have noticed with my hens.

Back
Top Bottom