Advice Please - 8 Wk Old Chick Crop Enlarged

SakeRiot

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2019
Central Minnesota
I haven't really seen any posts concerning this. I have a 8 week old Buff Brahma. Two weeks ago, we noticed his crop was really enlarged. Enlarged enough to where it was crossing over to the left side. We immediately took him inside, isolated in a brooder with pine shavings (same as our coop).

We started coconut oil and Monistat twice a day with massaging the crop throughout the day (since we weren't sure if impacted or sour crop was the issue. Didn't smell anything sour or white in mouth). He always had water. After the 3rd day, the crop started to empty. We slowly introduced scrambled eggs and some yogurt.

Things were seemingly going well. We noticed that his crop was very large again. He was eating the bedding. We removed the bedding and replaced with large rabbit bedding pellets. No way he'd eat those right? He ate them. We replaced with paper towels.

We switched to a mixture of eggs, yogurt, coconut oil, and chick grit while making sure to finish the 7 day Monistat treatment. This seemed to be working and he was doing good.

We slowly reintroduced chick food, eggs and chick food mix. Then just chick food. We're going, yeah! He's doing good. Crop full end of day, empty in morning.

Past few days he's had full access to food during the day. The intial problem is back. His crop is so enlarged it's crossed onto the left side. It is not empty in the morning. His poop has always been normal chicken poop.

It's as if he's just gorging himself. He'll eat from one side of the feeder then literally lays down infront of the other side and eats. Most posts I've read say chickens don't overeat but this guy seems to. We've checked our other chickens and it's just this guy with the problem. We bought him from a local nursery at a few days old. Just not sure what to do at this point. Any advice is appreciated.

Is this chick getting grit? Sometimes a chicken craves grit for their gizzard, but will eat other non-food things in lieu of grit, which makes the impaction even worse.

Buy some granite chick grit from your feed store and offer it to the chick. Offer it to all the chicks, as well.

Can you post a photo of this bird and the crop?

There is a condition called pica. It can affect any animal including humans. There is an abnormal craving for a particular non-food substance such as metal, sand, shavings, paper, etc. It's wired into the brain so there really is no easy cure.

Here is my tutorial on crop issues. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

He does have access, and has been getting, chick grit. All the other chickens always have access to grit (and they're always outside ranging).

The first pic you can see the crop hanging. Second is me holding the crop.

I've read your tutorial. It's the one we followed! Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200922_173139.jpg
    20200922_173139.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200922_173313.jpg
    20200922_173313.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom