Advice Please-Hen hatching her eggs today.

spencer creek

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 12, 2008
I let my broody Silkie have her way. I am regretting this.

She is on 4 eggs like nobody's business, definately knows what she is doing. She raised a foster chick in November for her old owner. Her chicks are due to hatch today. I am in Michigan, it's very cold, 0 and below. She is on 2nd floor of our insulated horse pole barn in my Chicken loft. The loft is very draft free, clean and safe. It is running about 30 up there. I cannot use any lamps, for the safety of my horses and my clients horses. She is in her own pen, box is on the floor. She has fresh bedding. I am concerned about Chicks getting out of box to eat and drink. Will she show them what to do and make sure they get back under her for warmth? Should I bring them in? Or, should I chill out and let her handle it? I've never had a "hen w/chicks before".

I already have 4-2 week old bator chicks in the house....suggestions please?

Thank you in advance.

if it were me..i'd bring her in....
smile.png

It would be a nightmare to bring her and Chicks inside. With our dogs and cat, etc... But I could pull just the chicks.

If you have a basement I would bring them inside or any place that you can make safe. It'd be a shame to take the chicks away from their mom. Silkies are so into being moms that she'll be really sad not having them.
sad.png

I always brought my broodies into the basement in winter.I built them a pen with storage box squares with room to wonder around when chicks got a little older. By the time Spring rolls around they'll be just right for bringing outside.

I keep our chicks in a rubbermade tub, half covered and locked in the bathroom, when they are little. This seems to prevent the other house hold animals from bothering them.

Unless the other chickens are bothering them you could just leave them be...they have a portable heater for gosh sakes! Just make sure they have access to a chickie safe water source that isn't frozen...ex. put marbles/clean 1" pebbles in the trough...

Yeah, I thought about bringing just the chicks in but it seems such a shame since she already hatched you out some babies and didn't get to keep them. I like the idea the one poster said about putting all of them (mom and babies) in the basement - or garage? - or woodshop? etc. Or, another idea might be to just let her keep two and you take the other two? Yeah, I like that idea! Good thinking, Ellen!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom