Advice please!! Laying eggs

Uwish

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 24, 2020
So my beautiful Cayuga just started laying her first eggs 3 over a four day period that I know of. BUT she is laying them wherever on the property I have found the 3 in all different spots. She isn’t sitting on them or anything. So does she know when their fertile? (Yes I have a drake) will She laugh full clutch when it’s time to hatch and sit on them or what? Thank you

If you want her to lay in one spot I find that making a little nest and putting "dummy eggs" inside can help a lot. I have bought them at feed stores or Amazon. If I even just drop dummy eggs in the corner of my coop my ducks will make a nest around the eggs and lay their eggs there.

I don't have a drake, but for the last 6 years my ducks would start broody behavior in the spring when they got about 8-12 eggs in their nest - which I believe is normal. But this year my duck decided to incubate just one egg. I pick up eggs daily, just leaving a dummy egg, because I don't want them to go broody. This year I picked up the dummy egg, too.
Ok great thank you I will get dummy eggs. She has a big nice nesting house and even a smaller nesting house. Which is where I expected her to start laying but nope just anywhere in the yard🤣
Oh I definitely want her to hatch some but she is never sitting on any of them. We will be getting snow soon so I’m sure she will be in her big house when that happens.

Ducks usually do not sit on eggs until the nest is full. If your drake is as young as your hen, your eggs probably are not fertile yet. As KalelAm said, it is much more likely if she has a full clutch and it is spring, for her to become broody and sit on her eggs. Even then though, not all ducks make good mothers. If you really want ducklings you might be better purchasing an incubator.

If you want her to lay in one spot I find that making a little nest and putting "dummy eggs" inside can help a lot. I have bought them at feed stores or Amazon. If I even just drop dummy eggs in the corner of my coop my ducks will make a nest around the eggs and lay their eggs there.

I don't have a drake, but for the last 6 years my ducks would start broody behavior in the spring when they got about 8-12 eggs in their nest - which I believe is normal. But this year my duck decided to incubate just one egg. I pick up eggs daily, just leaving a dummy egg, because I don't want them to go broody. This year I picked up the dummy egg, too.

Back
Top Bottom