ADVICE PLEASE! Re: Pecking order and bird now bald

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
I need your advice, please!

We're going to be moving soon and I had to thin down my chicken population from two large flocks to one small flock. In doing so, I kept three chickens from one flock and the rest from another. There are now 9 chickens. The chickens free range during the day and are cooped together at night. While they were all getting used to the same coop, I had them locked in there, with the run for three days. By the end of the third day, my Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam was bald and mildly bloody on her comb, but not scalped. She was one of the three chickens from the opposing flock. She's smaller than the others, but never had a problem with her original large fowl friends and was raised from a chick with everyone from that group. Part of the problem is that her original group had a rooster and a bunch of other hens who are no longer here and it threw off the balance quite a bit.

So that's the first problem. She slept by herself last night so that she wasn't killed. I don't know what to do with her now. The farmer who sold them to us as chicks said that she'd be glad to take back the D'Uccle and that it's a good thing that I separated her because she'd likely be dead today. My boyfriend says that he wants her to heal up first before she's put into a new situation, but the longer I have her, the longer I'll have to keep her separated from other chickens. Do I bring her over to the farmer today (who has experience with this problem and who has more bantam size chickens than I do) or do I keep her until she's better? And then what? We toyed with the idea of her being a house chicken, but frankly - we don't want a chicken with a diaper living in the house and it's not fair to her to have to live that way. But can she be reintroduced with a new flock and not be killed there?

The second problem is deciding if I want to thin out the flock more. My favorite chicken (an old barred rock) is being picked on as well and I separated out the major offender today who is a silver laced wyandotte (also from the mille flock) and will bring her over to the farmer. As much as I like the SLW, my old barred rock is my major priority. If I have to go down to three chickens to prevent her from being picked on, I will.

Advice on the Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam please? Do we keep her until she heals up? Or just not delay what will likely happen anyway and give her to the farmer who has bantams?

Thanks peeps!

But do you think it's a death sentence for the Mille Fleur if I do? Without feathers on her head, if she's put back into a situation with chickens who are picking on her, it will surely kill her. My only other option is to keep her separated here, which is a big pain in the butt. I don't know what to do. She's such a great little chicken.

I have her separated out for the night and I put some antibiotic ointment on her head.

Anyone have any other opinions? Give her to the farmer?

Quote:
Hi Itsy
smile.png

If I were you, I would first try to remedy the issue before rehoming any of them. So if this were my flock I would slather on some liquid wound healer or bluekote on the one with the ripped comb to help the healing, and these things also taste pretty bad so they others may not bother it. Then, I would pull out the "comb ripper " and do this to them....

83358_dscn1595.jpg

This girl right here is a comb ripper. She is not only mean to the others, but I have been trying to heal up a girl with a sour crop and this meany not only knows she is sick, but the sick girl was gone healing for a spell. This girl nearly ripped the comb off my healing pullet one day, the comb torn and bleeding. So I slapped these Pinless Peepers on this girl and well, the girls all get to keep their combs!!

But as for separation for healing of your girl, you do not know that the others will bother her bloodied area. They may not. My other girls never touched my girl with the ripped comb at all. The comb is healing nicely and she is allowed to be with the others.

So if I was in your position, which I was sort of, I would and have done this. Good luck Itsy...Leyla
smile.png

Leyla, thanks for such a thorough response! I've never seen those chicken muzzles before!
ep.gif

The problem isn't just with a ripped or pecked comb. She was literally plucked of all feathers on her head so badly that she's completely bald to her wattles and has some bloody skin areas. I've watched all of the chickens with her and they are all severely mean to her. They don't let her eat and they chase her away from wherever they are. I wish it was just one chicken because I could handle just one. I don't know if it's practical to muzzle them all.

Argh. This is a very tough situation! I hate to put her in a new environment because she was recently beaten up.

Maybe sleeping on it will help.
idunno.gif

I have one d'uccle hen who I keep alone because she was picked on. I would be happy to take your d'uccle and keep her with mine. I will pay for shipping.
Please personal message me right away if you would like me to take her.

I would put her in a wire crate or pen in with the ones that are bothering her and keep her in there at least about a week and they should get used to her.

Thanks for the offer, Chicken Grandma. I don't think I'm quite comfortable with shipping a bird myself, but thank you so much for offering.

Wnun - Welcome to BYC! You just joined and your first post is here?
big_smile.png
Awesome! I wonder how much more used to her they need to be. Before I forced the girls into sharing a coop, they lived in separate coops but everyone free ranged together during the day. Each flock definitely stayed together, though. The funny thing is that Milly used to be so intimidating to the "mean girls." If they were eating, they would run away as soon as she ran over. If Milly made a noise at any of them, they'd go in the other direction. Now's a different story.

Back
Top Bottom