Advice please? They want to hide inside coop.

SantiamLady

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2020
Hi. It’s cold where I am, in the mid 30s, but it is bright and sunny today. For the past few days, my chickens have been hiding out inside their coop. I get it when it’s raining, but it doesn’t seem to matter. Sun or rain, they stay in if I let them. They come out for food and water but then they go right back in. I’ve started locking them out of their coop during the day. I am doing the right thing?

Last edited:
Can you give a little more information, please? Where are you (state, country)? How long has it been chilly? If it's only been a few days, they're just getting used to it. The seasons are changing.

Are there any windbreaks they can get behind, or shelter they can get under? How old are your chickens, and what breed(s) are they?

I don't think I would lock them in the coop. Chickens know what they need, as far as shelter. I have the west side of my run covered with clear plastic for a wind break, and it wraps around the south and north west corners. Even so, sometimes the chickens just want to stay inside. So I make sure they have food and water in there too.

I have a free range flock that recently started hanging out in the coop all day, for multiple days in a row. Turns out, there is a hawk that has been stalking them. It got one of my Speckled Sussex girls about a week ago and there haven't been any more victims since then. But lots of time spent inside. Whenever I see the hawk flying, the chickens are no where to be seen, so I figure they see it before I do and take cover. They still range all day long in the rain...that seems to be their favorite weather condition. I guess that's when fewer predators are flying and more worms are coming to the surface.

Can you give a little more information, please? Where are you (state, country)? How long has it been chilly? If it's only been a few days, they're just getting used to it. The seasons are changing.

Are there any windbreaks they can get behind, or shelter they can get under? How old are your chickens, and what breed(s) are they?

I don't think I would lock them in the coop. Chickens know what they need, as far as shelter. I have the west side of my run covered with clear plastic for a wind break, and it wraps around the south and north west corners. Even so, sometimes the chickens just want to stay inside. So I make sure they have food and water in there too.

Thank you! I live in Oregon at about 900’ elevation. It’s been cold off and on thru October and November so far. It froze a couple times in October and is threatening to do so again now. They have gobs of natural wind breaks for them, shrubs and trees and outbuildings, etc.
So, I should let them stay in the coop if they want and just provide food and water inside?

Thank you! I live in Oregon at about 900’ elevation. It’s been cold off and on thru October and November so far. It froze a couple times in October and is threatening to do so again now. They have gobs of natural wind breaks for them, shrubs and trees and outbuildings, etc.
So, I should let them stay in the coop if they want and just provide food and water inside?
How wet it the ground outside?... My chickens won't come out much if the ground is muddy . Could also be hawks, but our place is fairly open .

Where are you located?
Have you changed anything with the run lately that may be scaring they?

Rural Oregon, west side of Cascades at about 900’ elevation.
No changes to their run. Only real change on our 6.5 acre property is we had to fell dozens of trees last week that were killed by Labor Day wildfires here in the Santiam Canyon.
F678DAC7-8EB0-40FB-B0BA-F9625B7663D5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom