Advice please.

Cutebutsassy1

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
I've rescued chickens that were in terrible living condition some alive some dead. The owner has passed on the day after I rescued them in a tragic accident so thankfully I saved the few I could when I did. I know they have scaly leg mites and lice/mites ect . This is all my feed store had please help with dosage it's 10mg per ml I am hoping to give them the best life possible now as they were suffering and I need to treat them asap to help this happen. I don't want to overdose them :(

Attachments

• IMG_20230128_164641681.jpg
    IMG_20230128_164641681.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 19
I prefer to use a permethrin based spray or dust to treat mites and lice because ivermectin will only kill things that drink the chickens blood and most lice don't do that (and also because you don;t have to worry about things like accidentally overdoses). For the scaly leg mites keeping the legs covered in vaseline to smother the mites works well.

If you do want to use the ivermectin I would give it orally. The dosage I use is .1-.2mg per pound, which for the kind you have would be .01-.02 ml per pound, or about .05-.1ml for a five pound bird. Quite a small amount!

I prefer to use a permethrin based spray or dust to treat mites and lice because ivermectin will only kill things that drink the chickens blood and most lice don't do that (and also because you don;t have to worry about things like accidentally overdoses). For the scaly leg mites keeping the legs covered in vaseline to smother the mites works well.

If you do want to use the ivermectin I would give it orally. The dosage I use is .1-.2mg per pound, which for the kind you have would be .01-.02 ml per pound, or about .05-.1ml for a five pound bird. Quite a small amount!
Thank you so much that was what I needed. I'm so scared to use it but heard it will treat almost everything at once and at this point if it will help I'd like to try it.

1% Ivermectin injectable dose for poultry is 1mg/kg or 0.045ml per pound of weight. (0.23ml for a 5lb bird). Injectable can be given orally, topically or by injection. Dose once, then repeat in 10-14 days.

Ivermectin will probably be one of the quickest ways to get on top of mites on the body and SLM as well. It won't be that effective against lice, so you may find that you will need to give them a light dusting of Permethrin poultry dust IF lice persist.

Do slather the legs with some oil (castor oil, coconut oil), vaseline or Nustock cream to help heal the legs.

If you have photos of the birds and their legs that would be good.

If they have been in poor conditions, take it slow. See that they are drinking well and provide them with food free choice. Make grit (crushed granite) available as well.
You may need to treat for Coccidiosis once they have been on new ground for a week or so and it may not be a bad idea to deworm as well. Just depends.

Do keep them housed separately from your existing flocks until you have been able to get parasites taken care of and have had time to observe for any other symptoms of illness.

1% Ivermectin injectable dose for poultry is 1mg/kg or 0.045ml per pound of weight. (0.23ml for a 5lb bird). Injectable can be given orally, topically or by injection. Dose once, then repeat in 10-14 days.

Ivermectin will probably be one of the quickest ways to get on top of mites on the body and SLM as well. It won't be that effective against lice, so you may find that you will need to give them a light dusting of Permethrin poultry dust IF lice persist.

Do slather the legs with some oil (castor oil, coconut oil), vaseline or Nustock cream to help heal the legs.

If you have photos of the birds and their legs that would be good.

If they have been in poor conditions, take it slow. See that they are drinking well and provide them with food free choice. Make grit (crushed granite) available as well.
You may need to treat for Coccidiosis once they have been on new ground for a week or so and it may not be a bad idea to deworm as well. Just depends.

Do keep them housed separately from your existing flocks until you have been able to get parasites taken care of and have had time to observe for any other symptoms of illness.
Thank you for that information. I'm not sure what % I have all's I know it says 10 mg on the side of the box. I'm just petrified I will give them too much. I'd hate to see them go like that. I want them to feel as much love as possible before it's there time.

I've rescued chickens that were in terrible living condition some alive some dead. The owner has passed on the day after I rescued them in a tragic accident so thankfully I saved the few I could when I did. I know they have scaly leg mites and lice/mites ect . This is all my feed store had please help with dosage it's 10mg per ml I am hoping to give them the best life possible now as they were suffering and I need to treat them asap to help this happen. I don't want to overdose them :(

Can you take clear photos of all sides of the box and bottle?
I absolutely will first thing in the morning. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom