1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    1) Our speckled sussex rooster had frost bite, and had to have it all cut out. I think he may have a fever because his comb, wattles, and ear lobes are all HOT to the touch. Is there anything I can do for that?

2) Our little Mille Fleur cockerel might be dying. He has been fine since the day we got him (March 4th), and now he has some kind of neurological issue going on. He is wobbly from the head down. He can't keep his balance, nor hold his head still to eat and drink. I have just started feeding him mushy food from a spoon (which he's eating), and giving him water with a syringe. Is there anything else I can do? Or should I just keep him fed and watered, and expect him to die? He didn't get into anything, and he doesn't have coccidia. (Tested last week.)

2. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Oh yeah.. his comb also seems to be perspiring. I cleaned it with a cool (room temp, but cool) baby wipe.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't cut off the frost bite, it will turn blk and fall off on it's own. can you post a picture so we can see what you mean by the frost bite? you might need to put him on an antibiotic if he has infection going on.. and your other roo sounds like he might have gotten a peck in the head, sounds like it could be wry neck. which is nerological, I'll see if I can find you some links so you can decide whats the best treatment. Do give up on your boys they still have a chance..

heres one on wry neck

Sounds like crook neck/wry neck to me. Ruth had it. There are many thread on here about it. Give it Poly-Vi-Sol (liquid baby vitamin supplement- the one without the extra iron). You can also give it a Vitamin E capsule - cut off top and squeeze out goop and let it eat it - Ruth loved them. If it's crook neck you'll see improvement daily with the vitamins but don't let up immediately - continue for at least a week after he seems fine.

I don't think impacted crop would cause the neck to twist and since you described it as partially twisted one day and moreso the next, sounds like crook neck.

In any event, the vitamins can't hurt and usually help. Some chicks just have malabsorption/vitamin deficiency issues. You can feed it some scrambled egg as well - high in protein and vitamins.

If you can't find Poly-Vi-Sol by Enfamil, Gerber makes the exact same product under different name - "Vitamin Drops" usually a comb/wattle/toe is not frostbitten until the area turns white/black and sometimes purple. Typically, a comb or wattle may turn purple due to extreme cold weather, but often this is due to a lack of blood flow to the outer extremities. Usually a purple comb or wattle is NOT frostbitten, but should the area continue to lack blood flow, eventually it will turn black or white and will later fall off.

Henlady is correct though, as swelling is an early sign of frost bite. Swelling indicates damage to the affected area and is the body's response to this. Swelling is usually caused by increased blood flow, and when an area is damaged or injured, the body will increase blood flow to that area in order to speed or initiate the healing process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."
    ~Douglas Adams

heres somrthing about frost bite,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bethel Farm's Blog

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  4. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    The frost bite was on his toes. I took him to the vet last Wednesday. The vet had to cut it out, it was nearly to the bone. In the tips of his toes. He lost a few toenails, but did good. He's all bandaged up, but the bandages should come off tomorrow. But I think he's a little hot to the touch on his comb, wattles, and ear lobes.

5. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Frost bite will usually dry up and fall off. In the Spring it will usually become a bloody mess as it is healing but as long as you make sure the other chickens are leaving it alone your roo should be fine. I use A&D ointment on the combs in the winter and it helps with the frost bite, but I have to say that this winter was crazy and my beautiful Splash Orph roo lost all his points.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    did the vet put him on any antibiotic? since you've already had the vet work on him maybe give him a call tomorrow and see if he thinks he should be on some antibiotic if you feel he may have a fever.. you can give chickens baby aspirin that would help with fever till you can talk to your vet..

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Agree; I imagine the vet would want you to bring him back as it sounds like it's not healing well.

8. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    He put antibiotic in the bandaging. I've called him. Waiting to hear back from him.

9. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Aww poor baby.... Atleast you did something about it. I went to a chicken swap and fell in love with 2 huge Brahma's, when I pointed out one of them only had 2 1/2 toes he said, wonder when that happened!?!?

Needless to say they went home with me!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    thats good please let us know what your vet says.. and we're all pulling for him to recover.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by