Advice please

da417

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
I have a hen with sour crop. I know there are lots of postings about this and I appreciate the info howerver I have some other specific questions please. This started this past Sunday.
I have been expressing the liquid twice daily from the crop (morning and evening). I have her inside with me and have been giving her yogurt and ACV. She is pooping some (thank goodness). I have also given her a little mash with the yogurt and was wondering can I give her some cooked rice or something else to eat?? How long does it take to clear this up? And...have I missed anything? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Mis Prissy is about 4 or 5 years old and I have no idea what breed she is.

Thank you so much for your response. Yes. I am using the plain yogurt with probiotics. I will continue to keep her inside, which I really don't mind because I always wanted a house chicken
smile.png
. Do I continue to drain her crop?

Thank you so much for your response.  Yes.  I am using the plain yogurt with probiotics. I will continue to keep her inside, which I really don't mind because I always wanted a house chicken :) .  Do I continue to drain her crop?
No. Stop draining the crop and just massage it gently. From the top to the bottom. It helps pass some of that gunk through.

They can easily aspirate if you try to empty the crop. I did it the first day and then didn't bother any more. No fruits or anything with even natural sugar. No bread either. :)

I'm sure she'll be happy about the "no draining". I am too. Thank you so much for your help.

Miss Prissy Update: comb is a healthy red color, crop no longer discernable, eating, scratching, clucking...I think we have weathered the storm. Thanks for the help!

Just an update...Miss Prissy is still doing wonderful. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom