Advice Please!

Brennychicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
Northern California
I (finally) got chicks today! They are day old buff orpingtons-there are two of them. Due to hatch tomorrow are 5 more RIR's. Currently they are sleeping in the brooder, and have been since they got home. I briefly dipped each beak in water to be sure they had something to drink, and the food is out as well, but they have not eaten anything. Should I be worried that they haven't eaten in 3 hours? There was food with them at the feed store, so maybe they are just full? Thank you in advance :)

When chicks are born their yolk feeds them for 3 days. It's kinda neat actually. I was worried to when I got mine.

Last edited:
I (finally) got chicks today! They are day old buff orpingtons-there are two of them. Due to hatch tomorrow are 5 more RIR's. Currently they are sleeping in the brooder, and have been since they got home. I briefly dipped each beak in water to be sure they had something to drink, and the food is out as well, but they have not eaten anything. Should I be worried that they haven't eaten in 3 hours? There was food with them at the feed store, so maybe they are just full? Thank you in advance :)
Yes, the other poster is right, the egg yolk does feed them. But....There is also stress involved when such young chicks move from home to home.
Go back to the feed store or Tractor Supply and buy a small bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drench or Pet Nutri-Drops. Both made by Bovidr Labs.
These products can be used interchangeably and use the same dosage and usage instructions as in the Travel Stress URL below. This is according to a conversation the science techs at Bovidr Labs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
The chicks need extra energy to overcome the stress of new home at this young age. I put 2cc per gallon in their water for the 1st 2 weeks to get my chicks off to strong start. Yes, you can give this to them before the yolk is absorbed. Just one drop per chick by mouth every 8-10 hrs. as needed.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
Yes, the other poster is right, the egg yolk does feed them. But....There is also stress involved when such young chicks move from home to home.
Go back to the feed store or Tractor Supply and buy a small bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drench or Pet Nutri-Drops. Both made by Bovidr Labs.
These products can be used interchangeably and use the same dosage and usage instructions as in the Travel Stress URL below. This is according to a conversation the science techs at Bovidr Labs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
The chicks need extra energy to overcome the stress of new home at this young age. I put 2cc per gallon in their water for the 1st 2 weeks to get my chicks off to strong start. Yes, you can give this to them before the yolk is absorbed. Just one drop per chick by mouth every 8-10 hrs. as needed.
Best Regards,
Karen

Hmm, I didn't know about travel stress. Thanks.

Thank you, 3riverschick! They are doing well :)
Oh so happy to hear it! You are such a good chickie mama!!
jumpy.gif

Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom