Advice Re Brooder for 4 New Hampshire Reds

Alltmor

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hi everyone, I am expecting four chicks to hatch from the 6 eggs I currently have in my incubator.

Could anyone give me an idea of how quickly NHR chicks grow and how long the 4 of them should be able to comfortably remain in the brooder (a large plastic storage container circa 30" x 16")?

The weather in Scotland is terrible and I want to keep them indoors as long as possible to give them the best chance.

Another silly question, but how noisy are 4 chicks likely to be. If they are in another room, are they likely to keep my 10 months old daughter awake who is in the room next door?

I've found it difficult to find a comprehensive guide to NHRs online. Anyone know of any good sites or points of reference?

Many thanks,

Gary.

Here is one brooder size guideline:

.5 sq ft per chick up to 2 weeks
1 sq ft per chick up to 4 weeks
2.5 sq ft per chick weeks 5-8
then 4 sq ft per chick

I imagine your child will get used to the chicks pretty quickly and sleep through the cheeps. If you have the light off in the room they should sleep all night. They probably won't need added heat after 3 or 4 weeks in indoor temps.

What kind of guide? The raising and feeding and such are essentially the same for most chickens. Lots of information in our learning center on that. For specific breed information, try a search in our Breeds, Genetics and Showing forum.

Your weather there is better than mine. Looking at your 6 day prognosis you'll be seeing 10C (50F) weather very soon. That's exactly the weather I have in late April, early May, when our 3 to 4 weeks old chicks go outside. Maybe it's just a warming trend and your temps will fall again. That size tote is perfect for 4 chicks to brood 4 weeks or a bit more. If your night lows are above 0C mid March they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom