Advice sought for a 3wk old indian runner

Call duck Jen

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Hi, i am looking for some advice please.. i keep call ducks but have just taken in a 3wk old indian runner that isnt in great shape. I believe it has been raised so far on adult duck & goose feed and believe it has digestive problems and has dry skin and feathers/baaby down falling out. I have given it a warm bath and dried it and given it poultry starter crumb and water bowl but is there anything else i can do to help it get healthy?

Hi - a pic would be helpful. 🙂 You're supplementing with a niacin source, too, right? If not, I'd start adding nutritional yeast to the chick starter. Why do you suspect digestive issues? A supplement with vitamins and probiotics may help. I think you're on target with plenty of clean drinking water (and separate bathing water), especially if it previously may not have had adequate access.

Hope your duckling's doing better soon!

A picture as stated above would be helpful. Your duckling is actually in the "ugly duck" stage where down falling out, bald spots and adult feathers starting to grow in patchy are all completely normal. Why do you believe it has dry skin and digestive issues? Also what % protein is the starter crumble that you are using? Sometimes it's actually better (especially with the higher protein starter feeds) at this age to start cutting the starter feed mixing in a lower % protein maintenance feed to prevent health issues that arise from excess protein.

Thankyou both for your advice.. i only took it in today.. i have put one of my call duck chicks in with it for company. I have never kept indian runners so not sure of differences in maintenance/feed etc to calls. The reason i think possible digestive issues is because it had dried poop around its bottom.. which i removed when i gave it the bath. It is actually devouring the chick crumbs and drinking fine so may actually be ok. I was told it never had access to swim water before.. it has now but only shallow. I am feeding "smallholder range baby chick crumb which is vegetarian with soya and omega 3 oils. Do i need to supplement? The food does not state protein content but states its good for upto 4-6 weeks old.

Attachments

• 20210522_215431.jpg
    20210522_215431.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210522_215132.jpg
    20210522_215132.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210522_215144.jpg
    20210522_215144.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210522_215424.jpg
    20210522_215424.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 11
I'd definitely supplement niacin if it's not clear that the feed contains amounts appropriate for young waterfowl. I agree with @AstroDuck that the down shedding and flakes may just be due to the growth phase, with new feathers coming in. You have a couple of cuties there! 🥰
Thankyou very much for your help.. i will get some niacin tomorrow 👍😁 and fingers crossed it is just the teenager ugly ducklin stage 😁 they are cute..and made friends now 😁

A picture as stated above would be helpful. Your duckling is actually in the "ugly duck" stage where down falling out, bald spots and adult feathers starting to grow in patchy are all completely normal. Why do you believe it has dry skin and digestive issues? Also what % protein is the starter crumble that you are using? Sometimes it's actually better (especially with the higher protein starter feeds) at this age to start cutting the starter feed mixing in a lower % protein maintenance feed to prevent health issues that arise from excess protein.
Thankyou for your help.. much appreciated.

Hi, i am looking for some advice please.. i keep call ducks but have just taken in a 3wk old indian runner that isnt in great shape. I believe it has been raised so far on adult duck & goose feed and believe it has digestive problems and has dry skin and feathers/baaby down falling out. I have given it a warm bath and dried it and given it poultry starter crumb and water bowl but is there anything else i can do to help it get healthy?
Give it electrolytes and share some of the other ducks water so it gets probiotics.

Some live food like worms and plants are always good too.

Niacin supplements are useful at this age as well.

Back
Top Bottom