Advice whether this chicken coop is good or not

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by foxypoproxy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Hello everyone!
    I was wondering if you guys could tell if this chicken coop is good quality or not: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057OFQJE/sr=8-11/qid=1313013611/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1313013611&sr=8-11&seller=

There
    our no reviews to check it out and i don't have a trained eye

I can't afford anything more then this but i need a coop like this one that can fit a decent amount of chicken about 1-2 standard and 4 or more bantams.
    We will be making a enclosure (with a roof) around this so predators shouldn't be much of a problem.
    If you have any other advice its much appreciated! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I think it looks like a nice coop. Just make sure you make adjustments to predator proof it and the enclosure you will be building. Otherwise it is the perfect size for the number you want and at a good price.

3. BrazellDazell

BrazellDazell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Genoa
    [​IMG] love it!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's a good coop for the number of chickens YOU want to house in it. I have one very similar as one of my grow-out coops. I like the pre-fab coops for that purpose, easy to assemble quickly.

Double-check the latches and beef them up if necessary, plus add wood sealant to help protect the not-very-heavy wood. Also put it on bricks to raise it from the dirt, or on pavers or something.

Enjoy the coop! You may change out at a later date, but it's a good beginning coop.

5. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    It's cute, but......

The interior area is 8.66 square feet. You could re-purpose two of the nesting boxes as general coop space, which would increase the area to 13.25 square feet. The basic recommendation is 4 square feet per standard sized chicken, and ... I don't know what the area recommendation is for bantams. You can likely reduce the recommended area somewhat, but I'm positive you can't cram as many in as the ad says you can. Comfortably.

You'll likely have to add some ventilation.

Read other reviews of mail-order coop kits. I see the same comments a lot, no matter the manufacturer. Lightweight wood, flimsy construction, poor assembly instructions...

If you're already going to build a secure, roofed run... why not build a coop into it? 3/4 of the structure will be there already (roof and at least 2 walls), and the cost of a pre-fab coop will likely be comparable to build out the 3rd and/or 4th wall and sheathe it, particularly when you consider that's umpteen square feet of secure wire mesh you won't have to purchase.

6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

if you get it, I would build a platform to put it on or otherwise find some way to raise it off the ground a bit so it wont rot out-- if you raise it high enough, you will add nice covered sq footage to your run area.

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    If your chickens will be confined in the coop for any period of time during the winter this coop looks like trouble waiting to happen, appears too small to me. You don't say where you live so don't know if that's an issue or not. There a no windows, I don't like that part either.
    My two cents worth

8. smokinjay

smokinjay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    I think it would look awesome in a small yard setting!

9. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    We tried the already built coop route. On one hand they look nice and cute and some of them can be found at a decent price. But, I think this would work for 1-2 chickens but only for sleeping. I wouldn't keep them confined in there for any more than that. Also, the wood, like already stated, is really light weigh and flimsy. I would definitely put a sealer over it to help it hold up a bit longer. The one we got, the latches were really weak too. I would be prepared to have to change those out. Have you tried looking on craigslist? I've seen a lot of decent coops on there. Good luck!

10. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Its a good looking coop and a good price but it probably won't accommodate more than 2-3 standard size chickens comfortably. It's only 8 square ft and your supposed to have 4 square ft per standard size chicken. You can fudge on that a little but not a lot. [​IMG] after checking the shipping option on the coop ( $141 ) It might be getting on the pricy side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by