Advice

Brittys10

In the Brooder
May 8, 2020
Just rehomed 4 of my roosters. I have one now and 8 hens. 2 of the hens have been with the roo since hatch and I’ve had them ever since. I would like to let my other 6 hens mingle with the older girls but the rooster keeps going after them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. First timer over here

Just rehomed 4 of my roosters. I have one now and 8 hens. 2 of the hens have been with the roo since hatch and I’ve had them ever since. I would like to let my other 6 hens mingle with the older girls but the rooster keeps going after them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. First timer over here
How old are all these birds, in weeks or months?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

How old are all these birds, in weeks or months?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

Really good questions. Basically, what are you working with?

Also can you describe "the rooster keeps going after them". What are you actually seeing? Is he trying to hurt them or trying to mate them?

Are those 6 "hens" laying eggs or are they still immature pullets?

How have they been housed before? Have they been able to see each other?

Ok pictures are posted to show what I’m working with. None are laying yet. The white originals are 4 months & the other 6 are 2 1/2 almost 3 months old. They have been outside as you can see in a separate enclosure but very visible to the other chickens for about a month. At night the original 3 go in the coop and they get let out every morning. The rooster charges at them and pecks at them in their backs and actually got a feather today when he did it. I don’t want to cause any harm to the chickens so I let them out to mingle and stay in there with them but put them back in their little area when I have to go outside of it.

Attachments

• 27210E32-A10B-4B60-9A71-E04961470572.jpeg
    27210E32-A10B-4B60-9A71-E04961470572.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 19F1E35B-5E9C-48A8-BD66-4D65F2FDF889.jpeg
    19F1E35B-5E9C-48A8-BD66-4D65F2FDF889.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • A16BDAA5-02B7-4EF5-BC47-450624C08B31.jpeg
    A16BDAA5-02B7-4EF5-BC47-450624C08B31.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 8459A731-907D-4719-B2F8-6F1C0FFE69AF.jpeg
    8459A731-907D-4719-B2F8-6F1C0FFE69AF.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 8
Very nice big space, but also very wide open. Adding clutter to provide the picked on birds with hiding spots/cover would help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Ditto Dat!

Ok pictures are posted to show what I’m working with. None are laying yet. The white originals are 4 months & the other 6 are 2 1/2 almost 3 months old. They have been outside as you can see in a separate enclosure but very visible to the other chickens for about a month. At night the original 3 go in the coop and they get let out every morning. The rooster charges at them and pecks at them in their backs and actually got a feather today when he did it. I don’t want to cause any harm to the chickens so I let them out to mingle and stay in there with them but put them back in their little area when I have to go outside of it.
Not really seeing the separate enclosure?
Is the rooster one of the three 4month olds, do I see him in the coop(blue circle)?
How big is the coop itself?
Are those nests (circled in red)?
Roost is to the right(circled in green), how long is it?

Ramp is too steep and needs more cleats.
Roost should be higher than nests.
Might want 2 separate roosts, one for the olders and one for the youngers.

1594815505180.png

Ditto Dat!

Is the rooster one of the three 4month olds, do I see him in the coop(blue circle)?

View attachment 2244463
Agree, if nests are the highest point, that is where chickens will roost at night. Chickens poop at night and your nests will be full of poop. Then your eggs will be poopy and nasty. Cover the nests and put higher roosts. Sorry, I realize that does not address the issue at hand.

[
As far as the ramp goes they walk up and down it all the time the problem is when they’re out in the openQUOTE="aart, post: 22936160, member: 175197"]
Ditto Dat!

View attachment 2244463
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom