Advice

Kaelewykoff

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2021
Hey guys!! I have 2 ducklings, a pekin and a Muscovy. One is about 2 weeks and the Muscovy is 3-4. Due to Amazon delivery they are still indoors with a heat lamp on 24/7, food and water access 24/7 (first question: Is it okay to turn it off during the day when they get sunlight in the room?? And put it on at night?) I clean their water every 5-8 hours, or when it needs it sooner. Clean their bedding every other day and cover new bedding over water spills (until I clean all)
This is my first time having ducklings and I want to make sure I am doing it right. I’m SO SO in love with them, but I’m worried I’m gonna cause sickness or something traumatic (I’ve done a lot of research)
(Second advice needing/ question) My pekin duck has been having watery poop. Is that normal?? I’ve read that it could be because they drink alot of water and he LOVEs water haha but I’m starting to get worried. I haven’t fed them veggies yet only eating flock raiser rn until I can go to the store for some peas. But again am I doing everything okay?? When the coop arrives I’m going to slowly adjust them to the outdoors. 20 mins a day outside then adjust to hours and then throughout the day bring in at night until they are Older (is what I read online) see I’m sooo nervous. Sorry for the rant but I really need advice

First question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Are you lowering the brooder temperature by 5°F every week. This would involve ether raising the light further away, or adjusting power output of lamp with use of a dimmer switch.
Do you know what the brooder temperature is on the base of the brooder under light currently??
What is anbient temperature where brooder is located during day in sunlight. Meaning, with brooder light turned off.
Also,,,, no idea where your brooder is located, Inside home,,,, inside garage,, or inside shed outdoor.
When you have the brooder with light on,,,, are the duckies congregating under the light or somewhat further away. It is best to have the heat lamp at one end of brooder, so to give room for duckies to move into cooler spot , if they desire.

Cant help you with the watery stools, but other responders may have advice to share.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

First question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Are you lowering the brooder temperature by 5°F every week. This would involve ether raising the light further away, or adjusting power output of lamp with use of a dimmer switch.
Do you know what the brooder temperature is on the base of the brooder under light currently??
What is anbient temperature where brooder is located during day in sunlight. Meaning, with brooder light turned off.
Also,,,, no idea where your brooder is located, Inside home,,,, inside garage,, or inside shed outdoor.
When you have the brooder with light on,,,, are the duckies congregating under the light or somewhat further away. It is best to have the heat lamp at one end of brooder, so to give room for duckies to move into cooler spot , if they desire.

Cant help you with the watery stools, but other responders may have advice to share.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
They are located in my guest room upstairs. Sun shines through the window all in the room. I’ve only had the ducklings for 6 days so I haven’t moved anything lower 5. Also the heat lamp is huge and covers the whole cage but I have a blanket over so it only is on half of the cage and the other half is not hitting. Also it depends. I’ll walk in and sometimes they are under the lamp and then not

Also the heat lamp is huge and covers the whole cage but I have a blanket over so it only is on half of the cage
Maybe I'm being too cautious, but reading that you have a blanket covering under the lamp, I would avoid cloth under heat source, for possible fire hazard. If lamp falls on cloth,, what are the possilities :confused:

Maybe I'm being too cautious, but reading that you have a blanket covering under the lamp, I would avoid cloth under heat source, for possible fire hazard. If lamp falls on cloth,, what are the possilities :confused:
I see where ur coming from. I have read ALOT into that Bc I am also very cautious and that did worry me, but I’ve been doing it for about a week now and they are just fine. They are moving outside in a few days so I’m not entirely worried. I appreciate the cautiousness and advice:)

They have been doing just fine with what I have going now. They are moving outside in a few days so I’m not worried. They are hydrated and living their best life’s
They may be doing fine, but its curtail to know the brooder temp so they have a smooth comfortable transition outside. If they go from hot to cold its going to be traumatic for them. Were is your brooder located? Can you get photos of the brooder setup please?

They may be doing fine, but its curtail to know the brooder temp so they have a smooth comfortable transition outside. If they go from hot to cold its going to be traumatic for them. Were is your brooder located? Can you get photos of the brooder setup please?
They are NOT going straight outside. They will be going slowly. A few mins outside, to hours, (supervised) and they will be coming inside at night until they are ready. The room is upstairs and they are under the window with the heat lamp connected over in a corner of the cage. Sun shines through all day and heat lamp goes on throughout the night. I have been having the heat lamp all day ONLY Bc they have been spilling water and constantly laying in it so I have to make sure they are warm after I clean it out and put shavings in. Honestly, I don’t need any more advice on the brooder temp and allat. They are fine. I am checking on them every 2-3 hours and I even sit in there and let them walk around and I feed them and bond with them for 30 mins 2x a day sometimes more. I need advice on the watery poop!

Watery poop in Pekins is pretty normal in my experiences. Ducks when they drink a lot more water can have more watery poop. It will range in consistency. I found my Muscovy to have far more solid droppings than my other breeds. I wouldn't worry too much unless you notice other signs like not eating or acting lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom