Advice

Bjack

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2022
Hi all I’m new to the group. We just got 4 chick’s from tractor supply. I’m not sure how old they are. The chicks are getting feathers on the wings now. I don’t know if that is any help? My question is about the heat lamp. The chicks are in my garage and it’s pretty warm we live in Florida. The light is red 250w they are in a 27 gallon tote. The light shines across the entire tote. Can I turn off the light at night? I’m concerned about a fire when I’m sleeping. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Your chicks should have an area that's at about 90* at floor level plus a cooler area to escape from the heat. Lower the heated area's temp by about 5* a week by raising the lamp.
Thanks would it be safe to leave the light on over night. Is it just paranoia about a fire?

Thanks would it be safe to leave the light on over night. Is it just paranoia about a fire?
It's not paranoid to worry about fire; we burned an outdoor brooder with 10 chicks when a heating lamp fell into the bedding. We now use lower watt infrared bulbs in dedicated brooder lamps designed as such, suspended from light duty chains which are securely fastened to both their suspension points and to the lamp bracket.

Young chicks need heat around the clock until they're fully feathered.

It's not paranoid to worry about fire; we burned an outdoor brooder with 10 chicks when a heating lamp fell into the bedding. We now use lower watt infrared bulbs in dedicated brooder lamps designed as such, suspended from light duty chains which are securely fastened to both their suspension points and to the lamp bracket.

Young chicks need heat around the clock until they're fully feathered.
Thank you so much I will let it be tonight and tomorrow I will get a different light. My temp is now at 91 in the light and 85 on the other end.

Young chicks need access to heat around the clock but do need to have both cool and warm areas to use as well. I think swapping for a lower wattage bulb is advisable here.

Best way to judge if it's warm/cool enough is to see where the chicks hang out. If they stay clustered under the light, they're cold. If they're staying far from it, too hot. If they're milling around the whole area comfortably, then that's ideal.

Young chicks need access to heat around the clock but do need to have both cool and warm areas to use as well. I think swapping for a lower wattage bulb is advisable here.

Best way to judge if it's warm/cool enough is to see where the chicks hang out. If they stay clustered under the light, they're cold. If they're staying far from it, too hot. If they're milling around the whole area comfortably, then that's ideal.
Thanks for your time!! I have raised the light and moved the tote a bit. They seem happy moving about the tote. I keep track of the temp a few times a day. I will try a lower watt bulb. I’m sure as time goes on I will have more questions. I’m open to all advice on keeping these chickens.

I just got chicks on St Patrick's day I found a grate for the tote and got a brooder lamp also. I tried to go without lamp today as a test and they were all huddling cause they were cold. So I will keep lamp on 24/7 as they can get away from it if needed. I'm leaving t on till they are 6 weeks or fully feathered.My point was the grate will protect if lamp falls plus mine has a cage type grill on it so doubly . I liked the post where that mentions chains too. My lamp is clamped to 2x4 and wired to it also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom