Advise for people who have family members who need to use a commode

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PaulaSB12, Jan 14, 2012.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    My mother came home from hospital on thursday, but due to the fact that she is unsteady on her feat at the moment she has to use a commode. The first time I emptied was horrible and it got me thinking we have three cats that use wood chip cat litter (can go down the loo in an emergancy) so I put a layer of cat litter on the bottom of the commode bucket and after she went to the loo it went straight down the loo with no problem no grossness (that made me throw up pathetic wasn't it?) and just as important no smell.

2. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    That is a great hint, thank you. My mom is in the same situation and will be coming home from hospital in a few days. I'm putting kitty litter on my shopping list!

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    What a great idea!!!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Sometimes you can add a bit of water in the bottom with something like pinesol..or other good smelling cleaner.. then when they go it isnt quite so bad..

5. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I wouldn't recommend pouring cat litter down your toilet. It may collect in a lower lying pipe or even your septic, if you have one, and cause a blockage or other problems. I guess depending on what kind you use.

Try sucking on a mint or putting vics vapor rub under your nose or breath through your mouth (no scent glands in your mouth) that may help. (we use mints when field dressing deer, depending on the shot, it can stink really bad).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by