Advise needed. Head stuck in fence = Swollen tongue and throat.

Duckstable

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
So we're in the middle of torrential rain. I went out to check the ducks and one of the girls has wedged her head through the avery wire fence and got herself stuck (she had to be determined because it's a small mess).

I managed to get her out but she could have been like that for hours. Her tongue is sticking out and somewhat swollen as is the underside of her head and neck.

I've freed her and brought her into our quarantine cage so she can rest and dry up. She hissed at me once she was in the cage so has some life but is pretty subdued.

So I'm wondering if I should offer her food along with water or wait to see if the swelling goes down. Any suggestions?

I would see how she does with just water available for now. If she is breathing OK after a night without food, perhaps offer her ducky soup -- pellets or crumbles disolved in water -- very liquidy for a while until the swelling had resolved

I hope she recovers quickly

I have had a silly duck that got stuck with his head neck and upper chest pushed through the bars of a dog crate. It looked like the bars must have been bent to accommodate him. They weren't. However, he was lucky as it had only just happened when I saw him. I know it had only just happened as he was being aggressive with the duck inside the dog crate, and that duck took the opportunity to retailiate pecking the stuck ducks head ++ I got him out before he was injured by his assailant, and he would have been injured very quickly with the ferocity of the pecking

I would see how she does with just water available for now. If she is breathing OK after a night without food, perhaps offer her ducky soup -- pellets or crumbles disolved in water -- very liquidy for a while until the swelling had resolved

I hope she recovers quickly

We're a few hrs in and she can pull her tongue into her mouth now. I haven't seen her drink yet but she's stomping around and quacking occasionally. Shes usually a bit of a grump sohopefully she's on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom