Advise on my Coop design, Please

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4 With heavy breeds you are better off with lower roost bars to reduce the chance of leg injuries. The most popular blue/green egg layer is the Easter Egger sold by pretty much all of the major hatcheries, it is a mixed breed ...many hatcheries sell them as Ameraucana however, which is actually a true breed mostly available from breeders or some small hatcheries. Cream Legbars are another blue egg layer that is getting popular, breeders and some hatcheries do sell them. There are some other more uncommon blue/green egg layers also Araucana, Manx Rumpies, Isbars etc.

OK I took the advise and modified design by adding 2 2x4x10 roost bars that run along the right hand wall from top to bottom. Both at the same level, which will be about 2-3 feet from floor. I was hoping the girls could still see out the windows. I also did the same modification in the brooder box; not as long of course. Thanks so far; looking forward to more advise.

Looks great to me!! Honestly there will always be modifications from things that you find work a little better for you than others. Its a good start already.

Position the 2 x 4 roost bars so that the 4" side is up, this way birds can hunker down so their feathers warm their feet. I think your coop is well thought out.
thumbsup.gif
Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your coop design looks good, but I agree with TwoCrows and BantamLover21 about the need for changes to the roosts. I would be sure and have roosts at varying heights, but make sure than you have enough roosts that are higher than the nest boxes. When chickens roost they tend to gravitate to the highest perches available and if that happens to be the nest boxes, then they will roost in the them. I would have at least 18" between the roosting bars and between the roosting bars and the ceiling or walls of the coop as crowding leads to aggression problems. Also, I would make the tops of my nesting boxes with a 45 degree angle to prevent your birds from roosting on top of the nest boxes. Your choices in breeds is very sound. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy (in both cold and heat), calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Easter Eggers (the blue and green egg layers) are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built and in getting your flock.

OK I took the advise and modified design by adding 2 2x4x10 roost bars that run along the right hand wall from top to bottom. Both at the same level, which will be about 2-3 feet from floor. I was hoping the girls could still see out the windows. I also did the same modification in the brooder box; not as long of course. Thanks so far; looking forward to more advise.

If you can place those roosts at least 18 inches off the wall then you will get less poop on the wall.

Looks like you have space to include poop boards below the roosts….wish I had the space for one, would make cleanup a lot easier.

You have a great looking plan.

Back
Top Bottom