Advise on my Embden goose breathing heavy…

CarmenandMaria

Hatching
May 23, 2024
Hi, first time posting. I have 2 twelve year old geese, Carmen(beige)and Maria(gray) Carmen has been showing signs of labored breathing only while lying down. She is heavier than Maria who is a Toulouse and also blind. We live in Florida so I think the heat gets to her like the rest of us. They have a beautiful den to sleep In With hay(they go in at night) and can freely go in and out during the day. They have fans and several pools to keep cool. How do I find out if she has a respiratory infection? Has anyone given drugs for this in your experience? Hay gets changed often and new water every day. Love my geese so much and want to make sure Carmen is ok.

Attachments

• IMG_4150.jpeg
    IMG_4150.jpeg
    950.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4754.jpeg
    IMG_4754.jpeg
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 4
Does Carmen breath more heavily while exerting herself? Like when walking up a hill or walking in general?

What do her droppings look like? Normal logs or have you noticed any bubbly liquid, or strange colors like orange, red, pink, yellow, neon green, black, or excessive white? Have you noticed any mucous in the droppings?

Has she been laying lately?

Has she had any changes to her voice?

Have you noticed any sneezing, snicking, coughing, wheezing?

No she has no other signs like you mentioned. Eating normal, swimming, no voice change and no discharge or coughing. Just the heavy breathing and her tail raising up and down as she breathes.

She hasn’t laid in a while, but when she does she breathes heavy but she acts different also. I can tell because she starts to get a nest ready & she isn’t doing that right now.

Maria doesn’t breathe heavy like Carmen.

It is getting hotter here in Florida maybe she can’t tolerate the heat?

could it be the hay?

Back
Top Bottom