Aerial predator big enough to fly off with a 10+ lb peahen???

FLOrange00

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Indiantown, Florida
I'm in Florida and have about 30 free ranging peafowl. I have an enclosed area where I have banana plants, citrus, fig tree, etc. Apparently one of the peahens had made her nest up in a big banana plant. The other day I went out in the morning and found evidence that although she fought like hell, something carried her off during the night. Since there was no place for her to have been drug out, it had to have been a really, really big bird to carry her off. Is there anyone out there who might be familiar with what kind of bird might be the culprit? The only bird that I've ever had a problem with before was a Great Blue Heron who was showing up at my pond every night for a koi dinner. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Terri

I'm way up North, but I remember there being bald eagles and turkey vultures near Cape Canaveral. Either could have done it, most likely an eagle. Eagles sometimes pluck their prey before carrying them off, which might explain what you saw the next day.

Do you have owls? I know a great-horned owl would be big enough to carry off a chicken. Don't know of any other type of predator bird that hunts at night.

It would probably be a golden(?) eagle. At least that's what I think they are. My DH and I went to Key West last year and there were these big brown eagle type birds everywhere. Osprey maybe? I can't remember what the heck those things were called. If your pea hen was taken at night- I would think some kind of large owl. Good luck- sorry about your hen.

In my area, we have gosshawks and great horned owls. Both have carried off or killed some of my ducks
somad.gif

Quote:
You are absolutely right about that. I was so focused on size that I didn't think about eating habits.

I still think it was a bald eagle. Goldens don't range that far to the southeast, and prefer the high altitude areas during the summer.

If it was a bald eagle, then this was likely a crime of opportunity, with her being high up and all. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

osprey only eat fish I do believe... at least the ones around here and they're not very big... don't think it could have carried it off. An eagle on the other hand...

I live in florida. The only bird capable of that would be an eagle. We have a nesting pair a few miles down the road and I have lost a few of my girls to them. They normaly don't leave a trace. They are quite capable of taking a 10 lb. bird. Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

P.S. I no longer free range but not because of the eagles but because of the bobcat familly that moved in last fall.

Since there was no place for her to have been drug out, it had to have been a really, really big bird

A coon could have climbed the fence with a bird that size​

Back
Top Bottom