Aerial predator big enough to fly off with a 10+ lb peahen???

Quote:
If it happened at night it wasn't an eagle. It was probably a Bobcat or raccoon.

Agreed. If bird was able to fight like hell then bobcat not most probable as it would dispatch bird quickly. Generally, arial predators can not carry a load greater than 1/3 of their body weight so eagle (bald or golden) would have hard time carrying load if any veritical flight required.

Quote:
If it happened at night it wasn't an eagle. It was probably a Bobcat or raccoon.

they have coyotes down there too they cannot climb trees like a grey fox but I have seen one climb vehicles and up unto a shed to kill Peacocks though

Only thing with wings that could do it would be an eagle though that would be even hard for one to do. Eagles, hawks, owls and the largest of the species are more feathers and talons then anything. I great horned owl weighs tops of 3 lbs and it would have to be really healthy to weigh that. Hawks most weigh less. I have had them in my hands and know. An eagle would be the only thing wih its wide powerful wings and I think it would even struggle to take a 8-10 lb chicken very far.
So if it was from above, bet on an eagle

If taken in the night it would be an Owl or some type mammal I would think as they are nocturnal, Hawks and Eagles are diurnal (only hunt in the day)

Sorry for your loss...

If it happened at night it could not have been an eagle--in fact I doubt any eagle would bother a bird unless it was on or very near a body of water nor could have handled a 10-lb one that fought back. Either you have a great horned owl, which is large enough to carry off fairly good sized prey, or it was a mammal. Since you said the penhen fought I suspect a coon or bobcat--GHO's kill very swiftly. And yes a coon could easily climb a fence with a bird or a bobcat jump over it. I think you may have misread the crime scene in re to the perpetrator.

Wow!! Thanks all for all of the input. All but a few suggestions sounded plausible, but I think it very well could have been an owl. I hear owls every night, just don't know what kind they are. Judging from the difference in their "hoots", we have at least 3 different type owls. I guess I'll do some research and see which type is capable of flying off with a 10 lb. peahen. But ya know what????? Even if I knew what kind of owl it is, what can I do to prevent another attack? Nothing. Mother Nature is just one mean mother. Thanks again, folks, for your responses. I JUST LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

Are you sure a coon didn't get it? Climbing and tearing thru netting is not a issue for them. If thats not the culprit then a owl probably got it as eagles are daylight hunters

The only way to stop owls is to net with deer netting or avairy net. Or lockdown at night

Last edited:
The Bald Eagles can kill a Canada goose, but they do not pick it up and carry it off whole. They eat it on the ground, and maybe tear off chunks to take to their nest.

Great Horned Owl could probably kill a peacock, but couldn't carry it.

You lost your bird to some mammal that climbed your fence. Or squeezed under it. Coyotes are often enough seen walking along the top of 6 ft fences. A raccoon isn't stopped by a fence. Or maybe it was a 2 legged thief.

Back
Top Bottom