affordable ideas on getting my banty a warmer home for the winter

mamato3

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
SWMissouri
Ok ive been on my local freecycle asking for wood or small old building even a rabbit hutch not hits yet. We need to build or find something we could convert and use for no more the 15 bantys ive got 8 at the moment but ive got a hen thats brooding away in a nestbox. Im hoping to sell her babys but going into winter i dont know if i will find all of them homes so im saying up to 15 if she hatches any out. Anyway here is where they have been living its ugly but it keeps them dry. But i think they need a little better setup for the winter months.
IMG_0738.jpg

Ive got lots of ideas like we have a swing set frame we could put plywood or that tin or plastic roof stuff on and make a little coop using about 4 pieces of it would be built using the bars on the sides to help hold up the floor. The other idea is a big Rubbermaid container from walmart i dont think they come that big. The last option would be the dog house i have out back. Its a medium sized one so im not sure its roomy for them i might could add onto it dont know though.
IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

Could i cover a cage with a tarp would that keep them warm though the winter? I know a big chicken can stand the elements pretty good but im worried these guy are to little to stand much coldness. they will be free ranging though the day so just need something cozy for them at night
Well sorry for the long post any idea and tips would be helpful. We just got done building s coop out of pallets for the big baby chicks .

I wish you were closer, someone just offered me a rabbit hutch which was big enough to house 5 rabbits once. Great for many chickens... I just don't need it.

I think long as you get a spot to keep out drafts they should be fine.

I built a 5x6 coop out of culled wood from Home Depot or ask at you local building supply if they have any culled wood .50 to $1.00 a board most of it was 4 feet long TG and shiplap 6" and 8" wide but some was 6 feet long also 2X3's and 2x4's I did buy plywood for the roof and I had 2 2X3 here and I made some from a 2X6 and cut them in half. They did have some culled plwood cut 2X4 sheets and 4x4 sheets that was $2.00-$4.00 a sheet but I wanted hole sheets. I even insulated it with packing peanuts from a pack & shipping place they gave them to me. They were used peanuts although they said some places do sell them so call around and ask for the free ones . Just don't pack them tight in the walls you want the air to flow. Even buying the plywood it coat me under $110 dollars you just need to go back every 2 days or so to get the best culled wood. You could also build a platform for the dog house and use under it for the day time hardware wire round it with clear plastic leaving a air gap and put it in the sun for the winter days it should stay warm during the day and at night put them in the dog house that might be alright for the night.
I'm new to chickens so it's just my opion.

Jody

Quote:
Boy i wish someone around here would offer stuff up like that everyone is after money here.
Quote:
i have asked my building supply places they say they cant see cull wood they always have a reason behind why.
Quote:
I have done that on 2 sides i think what i used was construction plastic same stuff probably might just take all the plastic and that tarp off and redo it that tarp leaks and i need to add a pitch to it so it will drain. id love to put the doghouse inside it might have look at it a little closer i was worried they would get cold guess they will be fine in there with more plastic Thank you everyone

Back
Top Bottom