1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

afraid of home grown

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granmahen, Aug 22, 2008.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Does anyone else out there have problems with people thinking home grown eggs wouldn't taste as good as store bought? I'm dumb founded. Comments made: will they make me sick?, will they taste like dirt?, are they as good for me?, what about e.coli? I'm afraid I had to resort to trickery. [​IMG] Didn't even say they were ours, just fed them to the masses and they were delighted with the color, taste, and texture. Love those hens, not so sure about certain nameless people.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Funny, most of the folks I know want to try them, and then agree that they do taste better.

Mother Earth News did a neat article on how much better for you home-grown eggs are than storebought.

But when you say 'home-grown' in TN no one thinks you're talking about eggs....

3. ttrjpbcz

ttrjpbcz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    PA
    There are so many people that just don't have a clue.........it's actually funny that someone could be so dense. I think mass media puts all these thoughts in peoples heads that if it isn't at the upscale grocery store in a fancy package that it must be bad....when reality is the opposite of that!! We should carry a picture around of the chickens that are so pressed together in cages that their feet grow around the wire and then ask which chicken they would rather eat an egg from....:eek:

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I find people can be squeemish on fertile eggs. We live in a society who is overly germ conscience-yes the media scares the bejeebers out of them. Salmonella scares etc......
    Too bad they weren't as scared of pesticides! I am all for cleanliness, but also for wholesomeness!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by